Want to educate drivers?

MTB-Roadie-Commuter
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
I can be absolutely certain I'm not the only person who commutes by bike and gets frustrated by the ridiculous antics of drivers and the lack of a way for riders to let drivers know how they feel or educate the drivers in the first place. We have no horn, we have no "road-presence" - there's basically nothing we can do when drivers behave stupidly (every day in my London experience). Personally I'm fed up of having to risk my life to get to work in using a much better mode of transport than the car! :evil:

I've looked into the cost of getting a jersey printed with something suitable (but much less offensive than what I'd sometimes like to say to drivers) and there are minimum order quantities involved.

Would anyone else be interested in clubbing together to get a bulk order of jerseys made?

I'm thinking of a full sleeve jersey (can roll up the sleeves in summer) with a 1/4 zip and the usual 3 back pockets. Probably in red with blue side panels/detailing and white writing.

Ideas for the text on the back (and perhaps reversed text on the front so drivers can see it in their mirrors, if they ever use those)...

Idea 1:

QUICKER
GREENER
FITTER
CLEANER
CHEAPER

ONE LESS CAR

Idea 2:

WIFE (tick)
KIDS (tick)
AIR BAGS (cross)
CRUMPLE ZONES (cross)

GIVE BIKES ROOM!

Idea 3:

FED UP
WITH THE
TRAFFIC?

YOU ARE
THE TRAFFIC

All other ideas welcome!!

I'd be happy to place the order and post the jerseys out to people after payment. If interested please indicate your preferred text idea or suggest your own

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    How about giving out ones to the less responsible cyclist:

RED LIGHT JUMPER (tick)
    PAVEMENT PANSY (tick)
    LYCRA LOUT (tick)

In all seriousness though, I doubt any motorist would take any notice, it needs a grass roots shift in driver/cyclist perception. Harsher penalties for bad driving, and more enforced 20 mph zones.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • deptfordmarmoset
    deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
    I like idea 2 but I haven't got a wife...I've got a grandchild though, but that's a bit long for a jersey :wink:
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Why not go the whole hog and stick a bullseye on your back!
  • I would imagine that with that amount of text, the font would have to be quite small (printed designs are usually sized for the XS jersey), thereby meaning that the cars would have to drive very close to you in order to read it, and for that reason, I'm out.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Like the sentiment but I don't think it'd make any more difference than the pointless 'Baby on board' signs that dangle in the back of cars. Also reckon it'd just reinforce the smug cyclist stereotype.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    1 and 3 won't help with non-cyclists who think we're patronising and 'holier-than-thou'.

And 2 makes a good point, but only works if you've got a wife and kids. Could replace wife and kids with heart and brain.

Not that I'd wear one because I wear a backpack on my commute so the message would be missed.

I don't think the bad drivers would have time to read it anyway.

Maybe just a big white arrow on a blue background, pointing down and to the right. Like you'd get on a bollard on a traffic island.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87
    dhope wrote:
    the pointless 'Baby on board' signs.

I always assume they refer to the driver......
    MTB/CX

• How about giving out ones to the less responsible cyclist:

RED LIGHT JUMPER (tick)
    PAVEMENT PANSY (tick)
    LYCRA LOUT (tick)

In all seriousness though, I doubt any motorist would take any notice, it needs a grass roots shift in driver/cyclist perception. Harsher penalties for bad driving, and more enforced 20 mph zones.

Agreed, but let's face it that's never going to happen. Of course not all cyclists are as responsible as others but even an irresponsible cyclist is much less dangerous to others than an irresponsible driver.

As for jumping red lights, if divers had to pedal their cars and could get away with it they wouldn't think twice!
  • bails87 wrote:
    dhope wrote:

They do have a purpose: in case of an accident, the Emergency Services will check round-about the wreckage of your car to find any kiddie-seats that may have been flung during the impact.
  • I would imagine that with that amount of text, the font would have to be quite small (printed designs are usually sized for the XS jersey), thereby meaning that the cars would have to drive very close to you in order to read it, and for that reason, I'm out.

I've actually mocked them up using some online "jersey-builders" and it can be made to fit without being too small. Can email you an example image if you PM me
  • UndercoverElephant
    UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
    edited May 2011
    I would imagine that with that amount of text, the font would have to be quite small (printed designs are usually sized for the XS jersey), thereby meaning that the cars would have to drive very close to you in order to read it, and for that reason, I'm out.

I've actually mocked them up using some online "jersey-builders" and it can be made to fit without being too small. Can email you an example image if you PM me

You know, once a dragon has declared that they're out, they can't go back in. No amount of whining will win me back. I'm out, Sonny-Jim. Plus, I have a backpack, so nobody would read it anyway.

You know, I used to buy ice-creams off Duncan Bannatyne when I was a nipper.
  • Clare_M
    Clare_M Posts: 68
    I have a bag on my back, so they wouldn't be able to see the writing.... :( Must get some panniers!
    I was a fatty, then I took up cycling and can now eat cake guilt free!

"Triples are for girls" My Husband, 2010. (Evidently not for this girl though!)
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    why so fuck1ng close
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • bails87
    bails87 wrote:
    dhope wrote:

They do have a purpose: in case of an accident, the Emergency Services will check round-about the wreckage of your car to find any kiddie-seats that may have been flung during the impact.

Thing is, round here a pretty big proportion are in cars with just the driver in. And then you get the "Spoiled Princess on board" type ones. Where you genuinely don't know if it means the driver or any children who may or may not be in the car.
    MTB/CX

• sketchley
    --
    Chris

• bails87 wrote:
    1 and 3 won't help with non-cyclists who think we're patronising and 'holier-than-thou'.

And 2 makes a good point, but only works if you've got a wife and kids. Could replace wife and kids with heart and brain.

Not that I'd wear one because I wear a backpack on my commute so the message would be missed.

I don't think the bad drivers would have time to read it anyway.

Maybe just a big white arrow on a blue background, pointing down and to the right. Like you'd get on a bollard on a traffic island.

You and dhope are probably right about cyclists appearing smug, however I don't mind that tbh because I think we do have the moral high ground. Most of the Chelsea tractor/BMW/Audi/Porsche drivers look pretty smugly back at me when they drive like idiots to get 5m further down the road.

Most who commute by car in London could use public transport or cycle - after all if they weren't blocking up the road their bus could get them to work twice as quickly as it would now.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited May 2011
    How about

"My c0ck is so enourmous you desperately want to run me over so you can feel better about not having seen your own hiding away underneath your beer belly like a shriveled acorn for at least 5 years, or because you know you'll never be able to to bag a man who can actually perform like me"

Very snappy.
  • sketchley
    --
    Chris

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I would have expected more discussion on the new on the spot fines for drivers who are careless (I may have missed it)

if a few people driving like w@nkers get stung for £100 they'll certainly think before being a douche in future
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • bails87
    Sketchley wrote:

:lol:

Although how "English f***ing rose" is from Stoke is a mystery.....she's got the right amount of fingers for a start.
    MTB/CX

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    How about

"My c0ck is so enourmous you desperately want to run me over so can feel better about not having seen your own hiding away underneath your beer belly like a shriveled acorn for at least 5 years, or because you know you'll never be able to to bag a man who can actually perform like me"

i like the way that just rolls off the tongue
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    As for jumping red lights, if divers had to pedal their cars and could get away with it they wouldn't think twice!
    Hm, sounds like you RLJ. You realise this invalidates all collected scalps when SCR...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • bails87
    mudcow007 wrote:
    How about

"My c0ck

:wink:
    MTB/CX

• snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    "CAMERA ON BOARD"
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Just wear a Man Utd shirt - that'll pi$$ off more people than you know....

In other news, don't bother.....almost as bad as the "I Pay Roadtax" shirts....lame....
  • rick_chasey
    bails87 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    How about

"My c0ck

:wink:

*shrugs*

Must have a big mouth.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Pictures'd be better
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Unfortunately, the drivers you'd want to target with all this aren't very open, or susceptible to "education" :S
  • bails87
    notsoblue wrote:
    Unfortunately, the drivers you'd want to target with all this aren't very open, or susceptible to "education" :S

True. It's probably the same as people putting a "Jesus loves you" sticker on their car. People who already agree will....agree. And people who disagree won't pay any attention.
    MTB/CX

• rick_chasey
    notsoblue wrote:

Ironic, given they regularly say things like " I'll give 'im a lesson 'e'll neva forget" and "That'll learn ya!".