Cleaning tyres

alomac
alomac Posts: 189
edited May 2011 in The workshop
Do you guys have any particular method for cleaning brake dust off tyres? My front Marathon is coated to the point where the reflective strip is pretty obscure and simply scrubbing the tyre with a brush and car shampoo only gets some of it off.

Thanks
Adam

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    try washing up liquid instead of car shampoo, washing up liquid has more harsher detergents than the shampoo
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    I have found it difficult to remove the discolouration from thise reflective strips on tyres, but try washing up liquid.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Use disc brakes instead? (OK not really practical) The tyres never get brake dust on them then!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    I don't bother cleaning my tyres :lol:

Although couldn't you get some clip-on spoke reflectors if you're bothered about being seen?
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    Use disc brakes instead? (OK not really practical) The tyres never get brake dust on them then!

Simon

Second that!
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • getprg
    getprg Posts: 245
    Try washing up liquid with one of those yellow and green pan scrubbing sponges used in the kitchen (use the green scrubbing bit) - great for getting rims, brake surfaces spokes, tyres and hubs clean too.

Most of my bike cleaning utensils are kitchen hand-me-downs - pan sponges (about 10p each when new) and washing up brushes (only 35p from Ikea). The washing up brush makes a good cassette and mechs cleaning tool - and they are free after you've finished with them in the kitchen - so you don't mind giving them some welly and throwing them away after just a few uses.