Messenger Bags

britishseapower
britishseapower Posts: 95
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
I've decided that as the weathers getting nice i'm gonna start riding in to work. I reckon i've got most of the details sorted, quickest route, least hilly and time needed, its just the carrying work gear now.

Been looking for bags and was thinking of something like the Deuter race for my kit, but then had a possible brain wave and to look in to messenger style bags instead. Got my eye on 2, i'm super tempted by the Schwalbe!

Schwalbe - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-recycled-tyre-messenger-bag/
Ogio - http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Accessories/Bags++Racks/Bags++Backpacks/Ogio+Hip+Hop+Messenger+Bag_1607.htm
EDIT* (this one too) Specialized - http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/specialized-briefcase-black-id42218.html

Anyone got any other ideas for either rucksacks or messenger bags in a similar price range?

Kit to carry includes trousers, shirt, socks and lunch. Possible jacket/extra top layer and spare bottom layer (eg. waterproof trousers, not a necessity though). The usual stuff really, so dont want to have to cram things in too tight.
2009 - Giant Trance X3

2011 - Focus Black Forest XT

Comments

• chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    I've had a Timbuk2 bag for 10 years. Used it most weekdays in that time and it's as good as new. Dirty, but no stretch in the stitching, all straps as new, all fasteners and catches as new and it's still completely watertight.

Expensive at the time but now seems like a bargain.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    +1 for a Timbuk2. I blagged one cheap from a retailer by the seaside as he was going to send it back as there was a velcro pad missing. He told me about a customer wanting a new bag to replace his old Timbuk2 which was 20+ years old, battered but still sturdy.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • i got a da kine messenger bag that holds quite a lot and is waterproof to boot and still looks as good as new
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Firstly make sure it has the extra strap (sometime called a thrird leg) from the main shoulder strap to the back of the bag to stop it slipping around whilst you are cycling.

Secondly get a Crumpler, they are fantastic and will last longer than your bike and possibly you. Cheesy Disco model is a good one and decent size.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Cuchulainn
    Cuchulainn Posts: 33
    +1 on the crumpler bags. I have one and it's excellent and has kept stuff dry when it was positively chucking it down.
  • nyanza
    nyanza Posts: 68
    I've a 30 year guarantee on my Crumpler (Weenie Wonder). I can just imagine asking for new one in 2040. Weird.

Factor in 20 quid for a tin of Fabsil from a camping shop. A couple of coats a year keeps everything very dry.
  • This could be a bit of a controversial post and I don't get much from Halfords but they do a pretty sturdy messenger bag for around a tenner. Don't know how they make them so cheap (or why the sell them so cheap when they seem to be a bit extortionate with everything else) but they could be worth a look if you don't want to spend much.

I've got one and it's been really good value for money.
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    I have a Newfeel 20L backpack from Decathlon for £15. Its doing fine so far for my daily work commute. Though I think I am a bit sweaty on the back after a 4.5 miles ride
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • The Timbuk2 bags do look quite good, Cheapest i can find is about £50, i could possibly stretch that far but would prefer nearer the £30 this month.

I've seen that Halfords one, was gonna call in at my local and have a closer look later, on face valve, looks alright.

I've been looking at a few backpacks from decathlon and the like but sort of decided i want a messenger bag to avoid the sweaty back as much as possible. Definatley need one with the extra strap or 3rd leg thingy though.

Thanks for your suggestions so far, any thoughts about the ones posted above? Anyone used/seen the Schwalbe one?

In terms of capacity too, i think i'm probably looking at between 10-20L, Just a bit concerned a 10L bag wont quite be big enough if i need to pack a few extra things from time to time. (not got any bags really at the min to get a comparison, going round a few shops tomorrow though)
    2009 - Giant Trance X3

• purpledobra
    purpledobra Posts: 16
    you had a look at the Karrimor's at Sports Direct for £20? I realise it means giving money to the FCB Mike Ashley though........ :lol:
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    North Face stuff is worth a look.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/the-north-face-base-camp-messenger-bag-medium/

I've had mine for a year and it still looks great.

FWIW, I think all messenger bags will give you a sweaty back. No way around that problem. You will (think you) look cool though!
  • you had a look at the Karrimor's at Sports Direct for £20? I realise it means giving money to the FCB Mike Ashley though........ :lol:

I haven't looked there for that exact reason, (Toon fan too!) But it might be worth nipping up the shirebrook Sports world direct soccer thing, as thats not far from me has a massive shop apparently. think it's their HQ or something.

I'll look into the Northface stuff too, and i will (think i) look cool. In order to not get a sweaty back then i'll have to ride faster!
    2009 - Giant Trance X3

• shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    This could be a bit of a controversial post and I don't get much from Halfords but they do a pretty sturdy messenger bag for around a tenner. Don't know how they make them so cheap (or why the sell them so cheap when they seem to be a bit extortionate with everything else) but they could be worth a look if you don't want to spend much.

I've got one and it's been really good value for money.

Yes I've got a dirt monkey one too, sturdy, 3rd leg, good in bad weather and enough pockets & a couple of decent size zipped pockets.

Depending on your bike, have you considered panniers?
  • Riding a Focus Black Forest XT so panniers not an option. If i can wangle a locker at work then i might be able to get away with just carrying lunch too so might not need a big bag.
    2009 - Giant Trance X3

• JST
    JST Posts: 158
    I currently use a small ruck sack with my stuff in, and have thought about getting a messenger bag. How stable are they when you are cycling, do they ever slip round or get in the way under heavy braking or in corners?

Ta :)
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Not if you get one with a support strap / thrid leg which fastens the main strap (from your chest area) to the back of the bag.

After all they were designed for cycling, before "fashion" cottoned on to them.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem