Mystery clicking from rear wheel area

Rothsay
Rothsay Posts: 64
edited May 2011 in The workshop
The bike is going great, gear change smooth, but - when I put the hammer down I am hearing a click, click from the rear wheel area with each turn of the crank. I have examined everything and cannot see a problem. The trouble is I need to be riding hard for the clicking to start which makes it difficult to identify where it is coming from. If anyone has had similar or can suggest a solution I would be grateful.

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Could be coming from the pedals, or the bottom bracket area.

Give the pedals a clean and lube, and see how that works out.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Rothsay
    Thanks for the suggestions. The bottom bracket seems solid - no play there but I will check the pedals.
  • bobbygloss
    bobbygloss Posts: 317
    I think someone (ITboffin?) had a problem where the crank flexed and touched the chainstay under load. Maybe that?
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I had same problem. Remove pedals and clean the threads, lube and replace. If click still there after that check your knees. :D
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Rothsay
    Thanks for all the replies! Well it wasn't my knees but the left pedal. I found that there was a reasonable bit of play on the spindle that wasn't really noticable when idling along. I swapped the pedals from my other bike to check and it is now the silent speed machine that it was. I am off on a tour next week so I am grateful for the advice!!