Italy, Where and When

Lawman1965
Lawman1965 Posts: 35
edited May 2011 in Tour & expedition
Folks,

I could do with some advice regarding visiting Italy for a mixed type of holiday, both cycling and hiking (mountains).

I'm already planning my 2012 summer holiday, as the job I'm in means that I can't have time off in July, August or September due to the Olympics, I'm planning on heading to Europe in June.

I've never been to Italy as an adult and would really like to head there. I'll be driving there from the UK and I'll take about 4 or 5 days to reach my destination, 10 or 14 days there and then 4 or 5 days return.

Can anyone out there recommend somewhere to go in Italy - I guess that with the driving it'll be probably around half way down the boot - perhaps near to Rome. I really have no idea though and advice will be much appreciated.

What kind of weather could I expect in June and where would be the best areas to avoid the rain?

I'm fascinated by Roman history so I'd like to go somewhere that has some historical sights too.

Any help will be much appreciated,

Rich

Comments

• jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Tuscany....Crazyguy on a bike has many blogs of trips ..Lots of cycling holiday companies cover it..My favourite guide book is Nick Cranes Cycling in europe.it has a great route for that area in it..
    jc
  • el_rey
    el_rey Posts: 83
    I am a fan of the Italy Bike hotels. I am going to Riccione for the third time this summer. They have hotels all over the country. Here is a link http://www.italybikehotels.it/en/
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    It would be easier to list the parts that aren't worth visiting (eg maybe parts of the Adriatic coast) and the Appenines run right down the peninsula.

If you're driving there is of course nothing that says you have to go to one place and stay there - two or three places might be better.

If you're interested in mountain scenery then you might want to consider the Dolomites, but the Lakes are also lovely.

If you're interested in roman history then Rome is an obvious choice (there is of course also Pompei, but that's quite a long way further south) - although you might want to base yourself somewhere that is within a train journey of Rome. Most Italian cities have Roman ruins somewhere.

As far as the weather is concerned, in June you should be fine wherever you go. You won't get 100 per cent guaranteed sunshine, and you definitely can't rule out thunderstorms, but rain shouldn't be a problem.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Like Andy Miller says, almost everywhere is great to visit.
    If you want to combine cycling with mountain hiking perhaps Northern Tuscany or the Abbruzze around L'Aquila/Sulmona are worth checking out. Tuscany has the full range of landscapes for whatever cycling you're into (flat around the coast, hilly/undulating centrally, mountain passes in the north), and the Alpe Apuane North of Lucca are great, accessible, mountain hiking.
    And, in June Tuscany is probably not yet completely overrun by tourists.
    Abbruzze and Marche (L'Aquila, Sulmona, Teramo, etc) has either hills or mountains for cycling, and good mountain hiking at the highest bits of the Appenines East of L'Aquila.
    If you want to cut down on your driving, Piemonte (Turin region) is worth checking out too - combination of Alps, hills and plains; and very good wine ;). It's probably where you're be coming into Italy (unless you want to use the German autobahn and cross the Alps further East).
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    By the way I'd definitely recommend investing a few quid in the Lonely Planet Cycling in Italy guide. It's biased towards the north - it's coverage of the south is pretty rubbish, but given that you aren't planning on venturing south of Rome it should be fine.

Following on from FJS post the train line from Pescara goes to Roma Tiburtina station - although if you wanted a quick burst of Roman ruins then you could do worse than a day trip to the Villa Adriana (Hadrian's Villa) outside Tivoli.
  • Italiano
    Italiano Posts: 75
    Lake of Garda/Verona or Folgaria (Trento)..
  • culverwood
    culverwood Posts: 256
    If you are interested in history a little tour from Pisa via, Lucca, Florence or San Gimignano, Siena, Bolsena, Viterbo and Sutri to Rome is a possibility. You can get the train back to your car.

If you want to stay in one place and are really interested in history stay somewhere like Viterbo or Tivoli a train ride out of Rome and alternate days in Rome and cycling as you like. Do not try and cycle into Rome for fun.