The beginners guide to chinese carbon wheels

Comments

• gotteli
    gotteli Posts: 3
    Hi all. Long time reader, first post.

Have pored over all the carbon fiber from china threads and have finally ordered a pair of 38mm tubulars from Xiamen for a bike I'm planning. $530 including shipping to Norway and paypal fees. Corresponded with Mae via email and found her to be efficient and courteous. Opted for the cheapest "all-around" option this first time, and if these are good I might go for higher profile superlights next time around.

2 minor downers: They were out of matte finish rims, so I'll have to clearcoat these once they arrive. Also they were unable/unwilling to sell freewheels separately (haven't quite decided on SRAM or campag yet). Complete hubs could be ordered however.

Will post some pics once they arrive.
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    For all those paying the paypal fee when ordering from China, it can be avoided. If you choose 'other' as type when sending the payment then there will be no fees. I just did this with my order for some 50mm clinchers from Dengfu and no fees needed paying.
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    gaddster wrote:
    For all those paying the paypal fee when ordering from China, it can be avoided. If you choose 'other' as type when sending the payment then there will be no fees. I just did this with my order for some 50mm clinchers from Dengfu and no fees needed paying.

If you choose 'other' can you still get a refund though?
    More problems but still living....
  • gaddster
    don't know, do you know that you can't?
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
  • amaferanga
    gaddster wrote:
    don't know, do you know that you can't?

No. I figured you'd know cos you selected it.
  • gaddster
    After reading my correspondence with Mina again (I missed it the first time), a refund was offered if I changed my mind before posting so on that basis it is possible. Whether or not it would have been honoured then who knows. Anyway, they are en route now!
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,832
    I'm debating on some 50mm carbon wheels now.

I have sold my powertap since I didn't really use it that much and have decided to stop racing.

So I'm now looking for some good all round wheels I can use. Was looking at the Shimano RS80's but now in two minds on some 50mm carbon clinchers. I know I want clinchers. Just unsure on the chinese ones :/

Really don't know what to do.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • gaddster
    What is it that worries you about the Chinese ones?
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
  • rozzer32
    Well the carbon braking with clinchers and the heat build up. Don't know if this causes a problem though.

And the fact that it would be a lengthy discussion and I could see it being problematic if I had an issue with the Chinese wheels. Wouldn't just be as simple as ringing up Merlin.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Get a pair from Derek @ wheelsmith 8)
  • gaddster
    True enough that any problems will not be easily sorted via the seller but there are a good few people on here that have taken the 'risk', not seen anyone have anything other than praise so far. Of course that doesn't mean you're 100% guaranteed to be problem free! For the money I think they're worth a punt though.

As for the overheating I don't think it'll be a problem unless you're braking lots from multiple Alpine descents.
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
  • rozzer32
    The cheapest carbon clinchers at wheelsmith are £600 though.

Yea that is true, for the money they are worth a punt. Is it Deng fu that people got their wheels from?
  • gaddster
    Yea seen a few get them from Dengfu, also Carbonzone do clinchers too but he doesn't have them listed on the Ebay page.
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
  • relanium
    relanium Posts: 487
    rozzer32 wrote:
    The cheapest carbon clinchers at wheelsmith are £600 though.

Does anyone know what the weight of these wheels would be from wheelsmith?
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Just under 1500g if you go for novatec superlights with cx ray spoke!!
  • amaferanga
    NWLondoner wrote:
    Just under 1500g if you go for novatec superlights with cx ray spoke!!

£671 though
  • gaddster
    Wheels arrived today! They look fantastic, very well packaged too. No customs charges, ordered on 25th May and arrived at 0915 this morning, not bad is it. Will post up some pictures later when I get them home.
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
  • amaferanga
    My rims from Xiamen Farsport are at Heathrow and have cleared customs. Estimated delivery date is Monday though. Its taken a bit longer than I expected (paid on the 9th May - was told lead time would be 15-20 days since they were non-standard drilling), but communication from Mae has been superb. Can't wait to get them built up!
  • amaferanga
    Picked up my rims yesterday and built up the front last night onto an Ultralight hub from Bikehubstore using Sapim Race (wanted Lasers, but couldn't get any yesterday and couldn't wait). Front weighs 672g which isn't too bad for a 50mm clincher. Crap picture from my phone -->

IMG_20110614_084118.jpg

Very happy with the rims and the service from Xiamen Farsport - I'd definitely recommend them.
  • gmb
    gmb Posts: 456
    My 50mm carbon clinchers from Carbonzone have now arrived (took about two weeks - communication excellent throughout).

This season they will be mostly wearing Conti GP4000s.

Fairly pleased with them so far, although I've only done about 30 miles. They replaced Planet X carbon 50's with Conti Sprinter tubs. I have to say there's very little difference between the two. (What this actually means is that I'm too fat at the moment to go very fast).

Pics below :-

SANY0062.jpg

SANY0061.jpg

SANY0060.jpg

SANY0059.jpg

***stands back and awaits comments on driveway needing clearing of weeds***
    Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
    http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    your driveway needs clearing of weeds,

wheels/bike look well.

:)
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    What made you switch from Planet X tubs to carbonzone clinchers?
  • oli2001
    oli2001 Posts: 350
    what did you pay for them? they look great. what weight are they?
  • #7rider
    #7rider Posts: 24
    Love the stealth look of the wheels

Was there an issue with PX carbon tubs ?

What's with the black forks ?
  • gmb
    gmb Posts: 456
    #7rider wrote:

What's with the black forks ?

Nothing - I just like the fact that everything's black save the frame. I would really have liked to have the pink frame with the black forks and accessories but wasn't brave enough!!

I paid about £330 for the wheels and delivery. This included a pair of skewers (which I'm not using as I like the PX ti ones) and a set of carbon specific brake pads. They took about two weeks to arrive.

There were no issues with the PX tubs other than I always worried I would puncture twice when I was out. I always carried one spare but this used to prey on my mind (probably unnecessarily) and prevent me from enjoying longer rides.

I've previously posted on this forum singing the praises of tubs as I always found them to be very good and easier to change then clinchers, but, to be honest, there is very little difference (IMO) between the ride quality of the PX tubs with Conti Sprinters that I was running and the set up I've got now.
    Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
    http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Just chucked an order in 50m clinchers from Carbonzone and 50m tubs from Yishun.

About the same price (the tubs are about 250g lighter) £330 ish for clinchers, £315 for tubs. Will update when I receive further!

Clinchers are going to take 5-7 days to post apparently.
  • paulc33
    paulc33 Posts: 254
    I recon we should try and get a group buy going with carbonzone and see if we can get some great prices.
    I really fancy a pair of 50mm clinchers.
    Does anyone know if they have a loud free hub?
    As love the noise from my fulcrum free hub
    2015 Specialized S-Works Tarmac - Ultegra Di2 (7.0kg)
    Kinesis Aithein - Ultegra mechanical (7.3kg)
    Kinesis Maxlight Xc130 - xt/ xtr (11.3kg)

spin to win!
  • gaddster
    Group buy is a good idea, would it be more difficult to get that amount through customs though without a hit for extra charges?

re freehub I think CarbonZone uses the novatec one which is the same as on the Dengfu wheels I got, I can say it's not loud on my set.
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
  • petemadoc
    @ GMB

I've already asked on your "your bike" post but it's more appropriately answered here.

Did you weigh the wheels? Or do you know how much they actually weigh? What are carbonzone claiming they weigh?

If anyone else has their carbon clinchers delivered could they please weigh them before fitting. It would also be great to hear some ride reports with comparisons to other carbon wheels (thanks for to GMB for the comparison with your planet x tubs.
  • petemadoc
    Oh yeah, forgot to ask

how do they sound?