Charity bike ride; Do the big hotels do discounts?

Badger1973
Badger1973 Posts: 12
edited May 2011 in Tour & expedition
Am planning a trip from leigh,lancashire to Cromer,Norfolk for charity.. I staying at a friends after the 1st 60mile but then am going to have to stay at a hotel/b+b the 2nd nite b4 completing my journey. I just want 2 keep my costs down!!! I have e-mailed a large hotel chain but nothing back? How rude!!! I dont expect a free room but a discount would be nice... Am a bit cheeky so i would ask at the desk; Just wondered if anybody has done this? I might be better e-mailing the possible hotels direct or the odd family-run b+b i think?

Any feedback would be gd though...

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I guess there's no harm in asking, but a quick look at cycling forums will show you that there are an awful lot of people doing charity bike rides. If you were doing it as part of a group then you might have some bargaining power.

I'd focus on shopping around to find the place that offers you the best value for money without discounts.

You might also want to check out warmshowers.org.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I half tried this when planning my LEJOG ride but kind of gave up because of lack of replies and a growing realisation of how many similar requests they must get. You'd be less likely to get anything from the small/family B&Bs IMO - they're probably pushed to be making any decent profit at the moment anyway.

Just be thankful you're only paying for 1 night and not 11...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Badger1973
    Badger1973 Posts: 12
    Thanx 4 the feedback guys... i need another mate who lives somewhere near kings lynn... lol. Gd luck Mr.Plum coz thats a big one! My sister lives in Cromer so its 2 weeks r+r and then i cycle back!!! 440 miles round trip but what an adventure! And the cash i can raise.
  • jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    I was out that way and stayed here http://www.deepdalebackpackers.co.uk/ba ... /index.asp

£13 a night if you dont mind sharing, I was on the camp site with my little tent but had a look in here and it was clean and tidy and showers were very good.

It was about an hours ride from Kings Lynn (I was fully loaded though)
    Good pub up the road and cafe next to the office for a good breakfast, also a garage shop to stuff your pockets with provisions in the morning.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • Bodhbh
    Bodhbh Posts: 117
    I was out that way and stayed here http://www.deepdalebackpackers.co.uk/ba ... /index.asp

£13 a night if you dont mind sharing, I was on the camp site with my little tent but had a look in here and it was clean and tidy and showers were very good.

It was about an hours ride from Kings Lynn (I was fully loaded though)
    Good pub up the road and cafe next to the office for a good breakfast, also a garage shop to stuff your pockets with provisions in the morning.
    Stopped there a few times now, the hostel is first rate. And that cafe pretty much does the best breakfasts I've had but can get pretty busy at weekends.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Try Hostelworld.com who do Hostels Guest houses and cheaper hotels.
    .Maybe Consider the YHA.Some may give you for a full private dorm at a fixed rate for a group
    jc
  • donkykong
    donkykong Posts: 160
    hi, maybe you could find a host at
    www.warmshowers.org
    its free

you will get somewhere to sleep, maybe a meal or use of kitchen and somewhere and someone to talk to and share your ride experiences with.