Magnatom's Helmet Vid on ITN News

HebdenBiker
HebdenBiker Posts: 787
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Magnatom's roundabout run-in with a petrol tanker was just on the telly as an example of careless driving :D

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Or, as the Transport Secretary would call it, "merely" careless driving.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I also recognized another clip from the back wheel of the bike, Gaz545 and a blue Merc A class trying to look down the lens of the rear facing camera.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • HebdenBiker
    HebdenBiker Posts: 787
    Just been on Channel 4 news as well. Tom's high-pitched scream is now famous :D
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Got a Youtube link?
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • SmellTheGlove
    SmellTheGlove Posts: 697
    Tom's truck moment is the essence of scary but the view seems a bit distorted; which means that it could, in fact, have been worse than it looks.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Ah, yeah, I remember watching that. Shame about the inability to prosecute the driver, despite his admission at the time.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Flyingbogey
    Flyingbogey Posts: 352
    Saw the Gaz545 on Sky news this am, I excitedly tell the lads at work, "thats one of the forum blokes", cue much litter throwing and "stop going on about that bloody forum". Apparently i've changed...
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • thinbo
    thinbo Posts: 93
    CUBE Agree GTC Pro '10
    Giant Defy 2 '09
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I remember when this was originally posted on this website and some bellends (and you are) were trying to claim the cyclist was in the wrong during the roundabout situation and that he should of waited until it was absolutely clear. You were wrong then and you're wrong now.

Chapeau to this guy for his persistence with this.

We've often complained about road users, we (in London) got cycle 'superlanes' and those solved some problems and created others. But by actually recording the incidents it shows some road users for the dangerous louts they are, shows that cyclists aren't all nuisances and that we can, quite often, be the innocent victims.

But most importantly it raises the question of why the police aren't doing enough to protect us vulnerable road users where there is evidence to prosecute?

Chapeau to all the others doing this as well.

They need to hand out free helmet cameras.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    The roundabout incident is at a place about 500yards from where I live and I go round it twice a day. Very scary situation. It is a badly designed bit of road and has a cycle lane cutting off past it that leads cyclists right across a small side road where there are hardly ever any cars.... but now and again there are!

All power to Magnatom!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    A few cycling videos from cyclists where used yesterday. Speaking to those i know, we had no idea they would be used.
  • Drysuitdiver
    Drysuitdiver Posts: 474
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I remember when this was originally posted on this website and some bellends (and you are) were trying to claim the cyclist was in the wrong during the roundabout situation and that he should have waited until it was absolutely clear. You were wrong then and you're wrong now.

We've often complained about road users, we (in London) got cycle 'superlanes' and those solved some problems and created others. But by actually recording the incidents it shows some road users for the dangerous louts they are, shows that cyclists aren't all nuisances and that we can, quite often, be the innocent victims.

But most importantly it raises the question of why the police aren't doing enough to protect us vulnerable road users where there is evidence to prosecute?

I crosds posted to another forum I use ( diving related) and an Approved Driving Instructor posted that the cyclist was in the wrong. we are truly fooked if thats what is being taught.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    Wow just watched footage, glad magnatom wasn't hurt, very scary. So scary think i'm going to have to buy a camera.
    Any links for tv progs that have featured this and why now?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I remember when this was originally posted on this website and some bellends (and you are) were trying to claim the cyclist was in the wrong during the roundabout situation and that he should have waited until it was absolutely clear. You were wrong then and you're wrong now.

I crosds posted to another forum I use ( diving related) and an Approved Driving Instructor posted that the cyclist was in the wrong. we are truly fooked if thats what is being taught.

Any chance of a link back to the original post here, or the other forum so I can see why he was wrong?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    and an Approved Driving Instructor posted that the cyclist was in the wrong

Unfortunately there are plenty of people out there who's default response will always be "you are a cyclist, therefore you are in the wrong", without even questioning or thinking about it.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Aspirilla wrote:
    Any chance of a link back to the original post here, or the other forum so I can see why he was wrong?

This thread I think:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=

Edit: Yep some gems:
    If the roundabout exit the cyclist took was the one he intended to use all along, he was in the wrong lane on the roundabout. This would confuse other traffic (well me, anyway) around the cyclist, as they would expect the bike to be going more than half way around the roundabout.
    Has to be said that the vid will make it look worse than it was in reality. The lorry can't have appeared from nowhere - the surprise would be that it pulled out but the cyclist should possibly have been more aware of that possibility than the viewer of the video could be.
    My views on that "cyclist" are well known on another forum! Look at the video again; he is approaching a roundabout and his speed does not seem to change.
    The road that the tanker was on and the road that the "cyclist" was on appear to enter the roundabout at about the same point. Given that the camera was helmet mounted, I did not detect even a cursory glance to the left; I realise that the cyclist may be able to turn his eyes to the left and may have peripheral vision, any traffic approaching from the left would have been unsighted so what does he do? No traffic from the right, he does not seem to care about traffic from the left so he goes blindly on.
    Why does he have more experiences than most of us? No road sense whatsoever, no appreciation of his surroundings. As long as he has a hole in his proverbial, he will never be a cyclist; just someone who can propel himself forward on a bike.

All on the first page.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Tom's truck moment is the essence of scary but the view seems a bit distorted; which means that it could, in fact, have been worse than it looks.

+1

It's a pretty wide angle lens so the truck looks further away on the video that it would have physically been. Either way, I would have certainly sh*t a brick...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    My views on that "cyclist" are well known on another forum! Look at the video again; he is approaching a roundabout and his speed does not seem to change.
    The road that the tanker was on and the road that the "cyclist" was on appear to enter the roundabout at about the same point. Given that the camera was helmet mounted, I did not detect even a cursory glance to the left; I realise that the cyclist may be able to turn his eyes to the left and may have peripheral vision, any traffic approaching from the left would have been unsighted so what does he do? No traffic from the right, he does not seem to care about traffic from the left so he goes blindly on.
    Why does he have more experiences than most of us? No road sense whatsoever, no appreciation of his surroundings. As long as he has a hole in his proverbial, he will never be a cyclist; just someone who can propel himself forward on a bike.

Knob!

On a roundabout you give way to the right so there "should" be no need to look left.

On the other hand there is no point being right but dead.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707

From someone who passes through that roundabout everyday, I can assure you that the two roads joining it do not join at the same point! In fact I have yet to see a roundabout where two roads join at the same point. There is plenty of open ground for the lorry to see the cyclist, yet the lorry ploughs on. Tom has right of way and quite rightly should carry on. The Lorry driver is completely in the wrong.

Comments like the one above really gets my goat. The person was not there, does not know the road, the conditions or the positioning of the traffic, yet can talk a whole pile of nonsense.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"