Annoying creaking noise from the back of Marin 5.8 Quad XC

wizzy1961
wizzy1961 Posts: 8
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
My Marin has developed an annoying creaking / clicking noise coming from somewhere around the back wheel area. It only creaks/ clicks when climbing and has gotten worse over last few months. I've had the bike for two years from new and have kept it well maintained so it's not occurring thru neglect. The clicking noise also occurs if you hold the rear brake on whilst stationary and then push backward.

Any ideas what this might be?

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I'd love to know, my bike is doing the same, though i suspect its the BB being knackered.
  • Timma
    Timma Posts: 154
    Had simillar problem, found seatpost clamp needed to be looser! try seatpost tighter as well.

Worth checking all your quad links have no play and as already said BB, again check for play or may just need a little tighten.
  • wizzy1961
    Thanks for the info. See you're in Hornchurch I live not far away in Grays other than Brentwood and Langdon Hills do you know any other local riding spots that are any good?
  • Timma
    Timma Posts: 154
    generally find thorndon the best round here, have you joined any of the rides round thorndon. not found anything else local
  • wizzy1961
    I've not joined any of the rides round Thorden, when do they happen is it weekends or evenings?
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    Take the rear drop-out things off that the rear wheel, mech and brakes fit to. Clean it up, greas and re-fit, sorted mine out. Could also be the spokes on the rear wheel, check them for tension.
  • DickBarton
    DickBarton Posts: 201
    I've had a similar thing for the last 4 months...finally found it!

I've removed the rear dropouts and cleaned/greased them and that made no difference. Removed rear brake and cleaned and greased it - no difference. Removed headset and rebuilt/greased - no difference. Removed bottom bracket and cleaned it all up and reinstalled with plenty of grease - no difference. Seatpost and saddle removed, cleaned, regreased - no difference. Hubs disassembled, cleaned and reinstalled (new bearings in rear wheel) - no difference.

A week or so back I was looking at the bike and noticed that there is some wear on the lower linkage from cable run - I moved the cable and I heard the cracking noise - it turns out the braided hose on my rear brake moves in the mount closest to the BB on the swingarm - as the cable moves it cracks/creaks and makes an god awful noise - but it isn't terminal so I'm not too bothered now...suspect a better/tighter fitting cable attachment would make it work better but not as fussed now that I know it's just cable movement.
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...