Is this an acceptable JOGLE route?

djredrupp
djredrupp Posts: 18
edited May 2011 in Tour & expedition
As the title suggests, is this an acceptable JOGLE route? We have 6 days to get to Cheltenham (have a Stag do to get to...), then its a relative cruise....

Are there any places on the route we should be avoiding with a barge pole? Or something that we definitely shouldn't miss?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... 876709&z=7

Cheers guys!!

Comments

• You seen to have chosen the 2 busiest roads in Dumfriesshire. The good thing about roads in this area is there is no need to cycle on either the A75 or A76.

Do you need to go to Dumfries after Gretna? If you do, I would recommend using the B721 to Annan and then the B724 to Ruthwell followed by the B725 to Dumfries. These are very quiet roads (maybe slightly busier on a Saturday when local drivers use them to avoid the A75). The A75 is busy with heavy traffic heading for Stranraer and has fast and narrow stretches. It isn't very pleasant to cycle on.
    There are plenty minor roads to the north of Dumfries to not need to use the A76.

If you don't have any particular reason for going to Dumfries, you can take the B7076 out of Gretna. This runs alongside the motorway and joins your planned route at Crawford.
  • djredrupp
    djredrupp Posts: 18
    Cheers for that! thats exactly the kind of "local" knowledge i need! :D

Having never been to the places along the route, I have absolutely no idea of the roads im committing to go down!

Anyone else have advice for their area?

Dan
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    You will get conflicting advice on the A9 from Perth to Inverness. That's the route I used on my LEJoG and didn't find it a problem, but others say it's a death trap. Apparently there are usually alternatives nearby (the old A9 for example).

There's a very nice alternative from Carlisle to Edinburgh. Stay on the A7 to Langholm then take a left on the B709 over the rolling borders hills through Eskdalemuir and Innerleithen.

a serious case of small cogs
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    toontra wrote:
    You will get conflicting advice on the A9 from Perth to Inverness. That's the route I used on my LEJoG and didn't find it a problem, but others say it's a death trap. Apparently there are usually alternatives nearby (the old A9 for example).

If you do go on the A9, PLEASE wear something bright - whincing today - pouring rain, spray, heavy lorries & caravans - several folk wearing black, on black bikes with black panniers. You've got to be pretty brave to do the A9 at any time (I've driven it rather a lot) but FFS make sure you can be seen....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160

If you do go on the A9, PLEASE wear something bright - whincing today - pouring rain, spray, heavy lorries & caravans - several folk wearing black, on black bikes with black panniers. You've got to be pretty brave to do the A9 at any time (I've driven it rather a lot) but FFS make sure you can be seen....

Whenever I'm on dodgy roads, whether it be a busy main road or a twisty country lane going through lots of tree canopy, I switch on my (very bright) flashing rear light, even in daylight. Just an extra precaution. No way that I can't be seen by everyone.

a serious case of small cogs