Bike broken!?

Dalton
Dalton Posts: 265
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Well, I am now three days in to my 'return to the saddle'!

I am happy to report I have ridden in everyday this week, and taken the long way home twice - couldn't today - due to the following...

I have managed to ride 57 miles in three days.

But I appear to have broken my bike already!

Now I know I am carrying a few extra pounds, but surely my bike should cope with that?

I am now 14st 9lbs and bike is a Langster.

Hopefully it is just a loose spoke or two, but sounded awful on way home today. Wheel definitely appears to be out of true.

Maybe I need a stronger than standard rear wheel?

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Maybe I need a stronger than standard rear wheel?

Your not that heavy, any wheel should cope OK with your weight :-)
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Daver27
    Daver27 Posts: 9
    New Bike? Old Bike? last time you maintained it if old?

if its new, get it back to the shop.
  • richrock
    richrock Posts: 77
    From my experience, back wheels will 'ping' a few spokes, creating a rattling sound - is this what you've got?

Typically for me, the wheel would go out of true by about half an inch, took it back to my LBS, and they fixed for free the first time. Check the spokes, you'll see if any have gone at the hub.
  • Dalton
    Bike is approx 6 months old, but has not been ridden at all in three months. In total I reckon it has covered less than 200 miles.

Like I say, hopefully it is just the spokes, as I was riding it sounded like something was catching in the spokes as the wheel rotated.

Have just located receipt, so if I can't sort it - it will be going back to LBS.

So - you guys reckon I wouldn't need a stronger - say 36 spoke rear wheel? I am fairly heavy and carry a rucksack which is not light - to and from work.

Road surface is pretty good, but there are a few bumps here and there, which I can't always avoid (traffic).
  • Dalton
    richrock wrote:
    From my experience, back wheels will 'ping' a few spokes, creating a rattling sound - is this what you've got?

Typically for me, the wheel would go out of true by about half an inch, took it back to my LBS, and they fixed for free the first time. Check the spokes, you'll see if any have gone at the hub.

Yes, this is exactly what I reckon it is.
  • Dalton
    Wheel has now been dropped off at LBS, hopefully will be back with me soon.

So spending tonight getting 'Best Bike' ready for commute tomorrow. It is currently in turbo training mode, so need to swap out back wheel after fitting cassette to spare etc.

Still wondering whether I should be looking at some nice new wheels for the Langster - as have read several threads online saying standard rims are rubbish.

Seen this...

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WBD ... lset-(pair)--black

Anyone recommend? Or anyone have any other recommendations. Can't seem to find any rear wheels with higher than a 32 spoke count.
  • I haven't heard too much about Planet-X's wheel-building, doesn't mention what spokes they're going to use – which really sets a good wheel apart from a bad one.

I'd look at Spa cycles, they have a superb reputation for wheel building. Given their bread and butter are touring bikes, they should be more than capable much bigger weights than yourself.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... 0s178p1817
  • Dalton
    I'd look at Spa cycles, they have a superb reputation for wheel building. Given their bread and butter are touring bikes, they should be more than capable much bigger weights than yourself.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... 0s178p1817

Thanks for the tip, I have sent them an email to see what would best suit me.
    :D