HandleBar question

kerb
kerb Posts: 29
edited May 2011 in MTB general
Does anyone know the typical length of MTB handle bars? If anyone can help me please.

the thickness/width, and length would be a dream, thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    they vary a lot.

the only standards are the grip area (forgetting the kids standard) and the clamp area (3 sizes common for MTB but there are some other odd balls).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • kerb
    What about grip sizes? thickness and length ?
  • nicklouse
    length what do you want?
    thickness depends on width,material and use etc....

like I said it varies. and the thickness is normally not constant it depends on what the FEMA let you get away with).

grip is 7/8"
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Might be easier to say what you want to do with them and take it from there.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kerb
    I'm planning on designin from scratch, Just looking for some average specs
  • nicklouse
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    kerb wrote:

How about you get a cheap stem and some cheap lockon grips, and then make sure what you are making fits both of them?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    A lot of trail bikes these days come with 720mm, use that as a starting point for width
  • MattJWL
    MattJWL Posts: 147
    My old Zoom Brahma bar was 540mm wide.... but you might get laughed at these days.

What application are you looking at? General trail riding? DH? Freeride? The more techy the terrain it will be used on, the more benefit you get from wider bars (more precise control). Narrow bars are better where they will be used on less technical terrain where aero (yes really) and not looking like a monkey come into play. Give us some more hints how the bars will be used.
    Intense Carbine SL
    "Chinarello"
    Taylor Made
    Off to pastures new:
    CELL Team Pro
    Intense Spider FRO
    Giant XTC Composite Clone
    1992 Fisher Al-1
    1990 Raleigh Mirage
    1988 Cloria Italian MTB
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    kerb wrote:
    Surely if you're "designing" them, then you don't need to know what everyone else is doing?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Which leads to two obvious questions:
    If they are for you, is it worth the bother when decent Exotic bars from Carboncycles are about £13?
    If you are planning on making them for others presumably you have some technical knowledge/qualification?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools