Noise from crank/bottom bracket when at speed

whitestar1
whitestar1 Posts: 530
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
Hi All
When I hit 23 - 26 mph I hear a noise from my feet crank/bottom bracket. Only happens then. Its a new bike and I have clocked 80 miles on it so far. Any ideas?
Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
Cube Agree Pro 2014
Triban 7 2013
RockRider 8.0 2011
http://www.whitestar1.co.uk

Comments

• SimonLyons
    SimonLyons Posts: 203
    When I got a new bike 2 years ago it creaked loads

I think bikes come partially set up and its up to the vendor as to whether they check everything has been greased properly, wheels have been correctly tensioned...
    Sometimes they can't be bothered and wait for you to report problems.

I took it back to the shop and they regreased the bottom bracket + checked the seatpost.

--I have learnt how to do all this type of stuff myself now.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Check everything is bolted up properly. And check that everything that should be greased is.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Had this very problem when I first built-up my Equilibrium. Quick removal of the LH crank-arm and a load of grease later, no problems at all.
  • Try the pedals. This has happened on the last two bikes of mine.

I've fixed it by removing the pedals, applying copper grease to the threads, and screwing them back into the crank arms.
    My commute:
    commute.jpg
  • What does the noise sound like? Is it a light ticking sort of noise? That's what I'm hearing on mine and it's also pretty new - just a few hundred miles. Because it only happens at speed and its a bit intermittent, I'm finding it quite hard to locate.......
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    Thanks for the comments. The noise sounds like a rustling crackling like. Hard to say really. I am brand new noob to this and have no idea how to pull things apart. I will have to goto Decathlon and ask them about it. I would rather do it myself. Anyone can point me to a good tutorial?
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    Whenever I've thought that my BB was creaking, it always turns out to be the rear axle bearings...
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Look on the Park tool website for instructions on servicing just about everything.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."