Just my luck!

mumrar
mumrar Posts: 21
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
I've been back on the commute run and biking in general since 30th March and been very lucky with the weather. Also, my health and the bike have been good to (it still needs a good service - lazy me).

Last night my luck turned. I had a head cold develop at work, not too serious, but it gave me a headache around the sinuses. It therefore transpired that the harder I cycled, the more my head hurt. So I made the sensible decision of taking the absolute shortest way home, which encompasses cycle route 5 on Icknield Street from Kings Norton to Redditch. Not long after preparing for a descent I hit a chunky, deep pothole, and this burst the seam of the inner tube. It took a fair while to go down and did retain enough pressure to ride slowly. It was pitch black (01:00 ish) and no road lights so I didn't swap to the spare tube. A bit further on I nearly ran over/crashed into a Border Collie which burst out of a hedge infront of me, what he was doing loose I don't know?

So this morning I switched the tube and purchased a replacement spare, no point tempting fate eh? When cycling in today my tyre suddenly started to spew slime from the tube and spray me and the mudguards etc. A noticable slice was evident in the tyre, and I imagine the same for the tube. I had to walk the remaining mile and only now do I have the time to swap the tube once more. How unlucky is that though, tube 1 does over 900 miles and is slimeless, and tube 2 does just under 12 miles!!

Anyway, rant shared, time to go and fix the bike for the 14 miles home.

P.S. One thing on the pothole pinch, this is on a national cycle route, I had a choice of loose gravel up the middle of the road (it's single track for cars) or the pothole to ride through - hardly an appropriate choice is it? Is there anything I can do about that complaints wise?

Comments

• optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    mumrar wrote:

P.S. One thing on the pothole pinch, this is on a national cycle route, I had a choice of loose gravel up the middle of the road (it's single track for cars) or the pothole to ride through - hardly an appropriate choice is it? Is there anything I can do about that complaints wise?

Take a picture of the pothole with something appropriate for size comparison (ruler is ideal). Then find out the phone number of the roads dep of the council that maintain the road, call them and ask them for their complaints procedure and put in a complaint and a compensation claim (or look at potholes website ) . Councils have a duty of care to maintain the road and to fix potholes once reported.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry: