Magicshine fail

thelawnet
thelawnet Posts: 719
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Just had a second Magicshine failure. I have the 3-light P7+2*XP-E front, which is not toggling between states correctly, and an MJ-818 rear (currently still working). The first MJ-818 lasted about 3 months before the central LED failed, and the current P7+2*XP-E has lasted 3.5 months.

I could never be bovvered sending the rear back to China, but maybe I will with the front.....

Comments

• dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Your experience, and others, is why I bought Exposure's Max D Mk2 instead. I haven't been disappointed so far. 2 year warranty as well.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • squeeler
    squeeler Posts: 144
    I suppose you pay your money take your choice.

I'd love a MaxD as I've got a (brilliant) matching Joystick I use as a helmet light when mountain biking and bar mounted for commuting but I have one of the Mickey Mouse style Magicshines for bar mounting off road because of cost/performance.

I'm prepared to take the risk that the Magicshine will last because it is so much cheaper than the Exposure MaxD. I've done about 10 proper 2-3 hour off road mountain bike rides so far and had an issue with the mounting screw loosening a bit. Not enough of an issue to justify the cost difference IMO but no doubt when it eventually does die I will end up spending the money on an Exposure light!

To the OP: I wouldn't hesitate to send it back, I'm sure they will see you right, besides you've nothing to lose other than a bit of postage.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    on the other hand...my magic shine has seen me through two winters of commuting and off-road night riding....

i guess the variable quality of the lights is reflected in the price....some people got good ones, others got crap ones....

it was always worth a punt at the price though...

for next year...i fancy a set of ayups.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.