Halifax adverts

Ginjafro
Ginjafro Posts: 572
edited May 2011 in The bottom bracket
Is it just me or does anyoune else think the Halifax adverts are just total shite....?

Generally, I actually like adverts as many are really creative, amusing, brilliant and so on but the Halifax ones, what a bunch of irritating bankers!

Aaaargh.
Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
Cove Hustler
Planet X Pro-Carbon

Comments

• Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Couldn't agree more, oh and those We buy any car adverts!!! Hate those with a passion!
  • yocto
    yocto Posts: 86
    And those freekin Meerkat and Go Compare ads. Were vaguely amusing initially bit now they make me want to throw the tv through the window.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Yes Yes Yes - Halifax ads have been junk for years - Howard was an annoying winker and these radio station ads wind me up.

Please can you also add the new Strongbow ad - WTF some Morgan Freeman wise guy in the pub and two white van likely lads moving a frigging sofa like Mission Impossible whilst playing on every stereotype possible. Cr@p.
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Have you all lost your remote controls? :lol:
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    They work - they have got your attention.

Personally, I refuse to bank with Halifax out of protest at their smug, cackverts.

Seriously.

Better way to protest than to come here bleating. Hit 'em where it hurts. Oh lucky them.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Have you all lost your remote controls? :lol:
    Scrumple wrote:

Personally, I refuse to bank with Halifax out of protest at their smug, cackverts.

Seriously.

Better way to protest than to come here bleating. Hit 'em where it hurts. Oh lucky them.

I have a fantastic remote control and adverts fascinate me, even the shite ones. I would be too embarrased to admit using Halifax but then again I would never use Lynx, even though their advertising campaigns are brilliant.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Scrumple wrote:

Seriously.

You're like a modern day Joan of Arc.

;)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • stigofthedump
    stigofthedump Posts: 331
    I always found the ladies pretty fit. Check out the one on the left (in the advert)

http://www.starnow.co.uk/sarahapplewood
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Ginjafro wrote:
    Is it just me or does anyoune else think the Halifax adverts are just total shite....? ...
    They're more than just shite, there's something disturbing and creepy about them that I can't seem to put my finger on.

I briefly met the guy who runs the Glasgow branch of We Buy several months ago and told him exactly what I thought of the ads. He was a bit taken aback. Haven't seen him since.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Crapaud wrote:
    Ginjafro wrote:
    Is it just me or does anyoune else think the Halifax adverts are just total shite....? ...
    They're more than just shite, there's something disturbing and creepy about them that I can't seem to put my finger on.

I briefly met the guy who runs the Glasgow branch of We Buy several months ago and told him exactly what I thought of the ads. He was a bit taken aback. Haven't seen him since.

You told him you think the ads are a kant's trick and you're surprised you haven't seen him since!? :D
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I'd never hit a woman, but the one in the Ice, ice baby advert really would tempt me to break that vow. My wife gets anooyed because I do reach for the remote whenever the Halifax ads come on.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    As soon as an ad break comes on zap off goes the channel
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • Drysuitdiver
    Drysuitdiver Posts: 474
    the halifax Isa isa one really annoys me, a class tune murdered even further.

(under pressure by Queen/david Bowie being the original class tune)
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,185
    Thought it was just me! Surely there must be more creative people out there who would love a job in advertising? That said, the worst of all for me are the Autoglass radio ads, I'm glad I haven't got DAB in my car anymore so can't listen to Planet Rock - I used to turn the advert off and then forget to turn back on again in any case.
  • martinwitnam
    martinwitnam Posts: 439
    A friend's eleven year old son is amazed at what the woman in the Confused.com advert pulls out of her f@nny! To date I think it has been a microphone stand, a bunch of flowers, a road and then a laptop.

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    There are so many reasons to hate BT Vision, but one thing I can't fault it for is the banks of pre-recorded programmes with their ads filleted out. I can't remember the last time I watched live TV except for the news in the morning (and that's BBC and so no ads anyway)
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Are the tits in the Halifax ads actual employees?
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Got rid of my tv nearly two months ago now, not really missed it at all so far. Now if I could just avoid the adverts at the cinema too...
  • dabbleonabike
    dabbleonabike Posts: 119
    I think halifax has to be the worst. Why oh why would you make a TV advert in a flaming radio station? Its just a complete non use of the medium available to them. I dont need to watch two annoying bankers in a booth just to hear their deals, looking at their smarmy faces as they make some poor bank and song related puns, its madness I tell you, MADNESS! :twisted:

Dammit, I really need to get laid.
  • All the bad ads are worth sitting through for the Specsavers ads, constantly hilarious and clever, the latest NASA one had me in fits for ages.
  • secretsqizz
    secretsqizz Posts: 424
    Got rid of my tv nearly two months ago now, not really missed it at all so far. Now if I could just avoid the adverts at the cinema too...

Gad sir, do you drink porter, take snuff and have a job as a night soilman?
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Gazzaputt wrote:

I wonder about this with the Natwest ads, the fit birds in the ad certainly don't work in my branch :(
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,185
    Just because the are obviously not trained actors don't assume they are employees of the advertiser :lol:

My biggest gripe with adverts is that when someone does come up with something clever and original that makes you laugh it gets over played and generates an entire series of prgressively worse follow up ads. The Compare the Market ads are the most noticeable case.
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    The best IMO are the likes of Fosters and the old carlsberg ads...General beer ads are usually pretty funny to watch
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    Gazzaputt wrote:

I wonder about this with the Natwest ads, the fit birds in the ad certainly don't work in my branch :(

Mine neither, they're a hand-picked selection of the ugliest, fattest, hairy-warted munters imaginable in my branch. And yes the Halifax ads are fecking atrocious - I was only ranting about them last evening!
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • oscar-j
    oscar-j Posts: 269
    is it just me or does anyone else find the "only at your M&S" advert bloody annoying?
    and as for that bloke who does the voice over for Wickes..... :evil:
  • campagone
    campagone Posts: 270
    I generally loathe most adverts on tv, but what I hate more is programs being 'sponsored' by a certain company, ITV is the worst offender for this. So along with having an advert every nine minutes or so I've also got to listen to some poxy sponsors message aswel :x
    Even the weather's got a sponsor for god's sake :evil: Here in wales it's BMI Baby and that's seriously annoying grrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I tend to stick to the BBC nowadays
  • You keep paying the fee to keep the BBC "advert free" (though by the way you know they rake in a mint with Product Placement and have done for years, right?), I'll happily torrent my TV show/cycling fix that are advert free thanks. ;)
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    I think the Halifax and Gnat West dudes are staff - I know the really annoying speccy dude who started off the Halifax adverts was and I think I remember reading somewhere that Halifax decided to use staff in all their adverts and were inundated with applicants of, errrr, varying ability and talent.

The Gnat West guys probably are as well, though they will be hand picked for the adverts - as above, you don't want the average munter representing your organisation on tv. Basically they will be the squarest employee they can find who scrubs up well.

I know I'm in a minority of one, but I quite like the ISA ISA baby advert - its so rubbish its funny. Agree that the rest are appalling.

As an aside, Vanilla Ice did/still does run a mountain bike shop in the US, so at least he's one of us (ish).