Dunwich Dynamo - advice

condorman
condorman Posts: 811
edited July 2017 in Commuting chat
I'm going to be doing the Dun run for the first time this year. I've already decided doing it on my fixed as I don't think I'd survive the journey on 49x16!

What's the best advice for lights? From what I find on the net mounting a Cree LED torch on the handlebars seems to be the best option with a head torch. What sort of lumens will I need for the two lights?
Condor Pista
50x16

Comments

• stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Any decent front light will do you fine. I've not done the Dun Run itself- planning to this year- but I did the route in October, and my Hope Vision 1 was more than up to the job.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Bought a pair of Ayup Roadie lights for the Dun a few years back, but then pulled out. The lights are great though. From what I understand, the lanes get pretty dark once you exit London.

Tips that always seems to come up are to take plenty of food with you and to book up return travel ASAP.

*goes off to check diary...*
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I did it last year on one smallish Cateye; the other failed early on. Lighting isn't an issue. A lot of the roads are lit, you're rarely alone on the ride due to the volume of riders doing it, and it's not that dark most of the time. From around 3 o'clock the darkness turns to that inky blue then grey before the light starts to take over again.

I wouldn't go with Gussio's tip either re food - there's a food halt halfway and an additional coffee stop (most welcome) at about 90 miles so no real need to burden yourself with stacks of food that you end up carrying from Hackney to Dunwich just to throw in a bin when you get there, like I did.

Sort out your return travel though. That one is a bind. Ideally you want someone to collect you at about 6:30 am rather than hanging around for half a day - half a lifetime more like - waiting for the bus to take you home. I had time to ride to Southwold for a look round and back again before my lift showed up. Southwold on a grey summer morning doesn't have much to offer, apart from a fit burd swimming in the sea in a skimpy bikini. That was nice. :wink:
  • Gussio
    CiB wrote:
    I wouldn't go with Gussio's tip either re food - there's a food halt halfway and an additional coffee stop (most welcome) at about 90 miles so no real need to burden yourself with stacks of food that you end up carrying from Hackney to Dunwich just to throw in a bin when you get there, like I did.

Year I was going to do it word was that there was either a long wait if you got to the food stop early, or nothing left of you got there later. Situation may have changed by the sounds of it.
  • condorman
    condorman Posts: 811
    Thanks for the replies. I've been thinking about the return leg and probably the best option would be to get a minibus or something for the return leg.
    Condor Pista
    50x16
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    condorman wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. I've been thinking about the return leg and probably the best option would be to get a minibus or something for the return leg.

Book the coach (£14 here), train tickets from £8 advance fare (Ipswich will give you a lot more options than Darsham, trains from there are only every two hours and you'll have to change at Ipswich anyway) if you book now. With either option, book sooner rather than later. Already got my train ticket.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • hells
    hells Posts: 175
    Drive down the night before leave car near train station, take the first train back to London, sleep during the day, do the ride, drive back home at your leisure when you feel like it. This is what I did.

I disagree about the lights comment, it depends what time you set off and how fast you are as to how many people are around, I spent a fair bit of time alone in the dark and didnt think my hope vision 1 lit the roads up quite enough to ride fast on some of the lanes, a seperate helmet light may have helped though.

I used the food stop but also had some mixed fruit and nuts and an energy bar.

It was abit chilly at the beach in the early morining so Id suggest arm and leg warmers for the finish.
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Trek 1.7 compact 2009
    Tank race elite 2007
    Marin Alpine trail 2007
    Specalized Langster 2010
    Kona Jake the Snake
  • CasperCCC
    CasperCCC Posts: 14
    Bumping this. Pretty much set on doing the run this year - hopefully with a few friends, but I reckon I'll still do it if they drop out.

It's getting back to Cambridge that's going to be the bastard. Don't mind the idea of the coach, but don't fancy the hanging around. I reckon by the time I get there, I'll be knackered, grumpy, and only wanting my bed. People who have done it - what's the wait like?

Or how easy is the ride to Ipswich? I can get a train straight back to Cambs if I get there, but after 120 miles with no sleep, if that extra 30 miles is full of hills then I'm going to be in all sorts of trouble... Longest ride in the last year was 70, and I was fine after that, but not sure how I'd cope with twice that!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    CasperCCC wrote:
    Bumping this. Pretty much set on doing the run this year - hopefully with a few friends, but I reckon I'll still do it if they drop out.

It's getting back to Cambridge that's going to be the bastard. Don't mind the idea of the coach, but don't fancy the hanging around. I reckon by the time I get there, I'll be knackered, grumpy, and only wanting my bed. People who have done it - what's the wait like?

Or how easy is the ride to Ipswich? I can get a train straight back to Cambs if I get there, but after 120 miles with no sleep, if that extra 30 miles is full of hills then I'm going to be in all sorts of trouble... Longest ride in the last year was 70, and I was fine after that, but not sure how I'd cope with twice that!

I did the Dynamo last year and the wait at the end was a bit of a git, but after a swim and a bit of grub (take money), many settle down for a kip whilst waiting for the vans and coaches.
    When the vans arrived to take the bikes, a queue formed and everyone gave their bikes up for loading onto the vans. Then the coaches come and people get onto the coaches and fall asleep.
    I've never known such a quiet coach! Every one is knackered and sleep comes easy.
    There is one stop at a service station and then its straight into London, dropping off in Farringdon.
    You have to make a note of what van your bike went onto and queue up for collection from that van.

My advice after doing all of one DD (in perfect conditions) is:
    Its not a race
    Get to the start before the ride begins (I didn't and I wish I did)
    Take your own food
    Take your own tools and tubes
    Take a towel
    Take a camera (I didn't)
    Stop at some of the pubs and be sociable (but not too much!)
    Ride at the right speed for you
    If you are tired, stop for a kip/rest. Its not a race.
    Go for a swim when you reach Dunwich (it really helps your sore muscles)
    Take an additional layer of clothing so that you can sleep on the beach (stony) in warmth
    Once your bike is on the van, try not to fret about it (easier said than done)
    Queue for the right van at the end and keep your eyes open for your bike when they are unloading. It would be all too easy for scum to take someone else's bike
    Brag to all of your friends and family about what you just did.
    Go for a ~10 mile ride the day after to aid recovery

The last 20 miles or so of the DD seemed to be a climb to the coast (which is near impossible) over rolling hills. I really needed company at this point.
    You don't see the coast until about 30 metres from the end, so don't expect to see the sea in the distance. I really wish I knew this last year. I wanted to kiss the first sign to Dunwich (I won't tell you how far away it is from the end)

I did it on a geared roadbike last year but I only have a fixie at the mo (52:18, 76") so I don't know if I'll do it this year. I have MUCH respect for anyone doing it on a fixie. The physical trial isn't too bad, its the mental aspect that is hard. Riding when you should be sleeping, Riding through the night. Riding when you don't know the route. etc

It is hard, but I think its harder up here [taps head] than down here [taps legs].
    I don't know if I am in a better or worse position having done it before. Ignorance is bliss.

I will do it fixed this year!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Gussio
    Sounds like sage advice :D I'll do it next near - the missus has arranged for the grandparents to look after the kids that weekend so that we can go away (and I didn't have the heart to suggest Dunwich as the ideal location!).
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Gussio wrote:
    Sounds like sage advice :D I'll do it next near - the missus has arranged for the grandparents to look after the kids that weekend so that we can go away (and I didn't have the heart to suggest Dunwich as the ideal location!).

It is very pretty down there, especially the coast south of Dunwich - Adleburgh, Orford and down to Felixstowe Ferry. Granted its not Paris or Venice but it wouldn't be the daftest suggestion. She may baulk at cycling down there thru the night though!

I'm in similar situation to you - its on my wedding anniversary!
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I'm really tempted...
    Only ever done one ride of moderate distance, which was L2B last weekend. Enjoyed it, generally doing 70 miles commuting each week plus a little running, swimming and gym so would hope I could manage it at a push.

Is this a foolish idea or do I MTFU and just do it?
    Fixed or Boardman Carbon? (methinks the latter, maybe should get some more puncture resistant tyres).
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    dhope wrote:
    I'm really tempted...
    Only ever done one ride of moderate distance, which was L2B last weekend. Enjoyed it, generally doing 70 miles commuting each week plus a little running, swimming and gym so would hope I could manage it at a push.

Is this a foolish idea or do I MTFU and just do it?
    Fixed or Boardman Carbon? (methinks the latter, maybe should get some more puncture resistant tyres).

Do a few longer rides before the DD, in the 60mile to 80mile range and you'll be fine.

If you're not used to riding fixed long distance,I'd go geared as the final leg to the coast is undulating. If you do choose to ride fixed I'd go for something in the 65 - 73 GI range.

Night riding can often be a bit chilly in the lanes, so layer up. Take back-up lights, eat and drink small amounts regularly and chat to people as you ride, it helps to keep you awake!
  • dhope
    Well, I've signed up for a ride on a coach back, so I guess that's settled :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    The coach at the end is a PITA. If its a damp cold morning, there are few things worse than shivering on a beach waiting for a coach to turn up, then spending hours getting back to London. I'd say cycle to one of the stations, or make your own arrangements (leaving car there the day before etc.)

As for lights, I did it without any (front) - not advisable, but I survived.
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    I'm tempted this year.

What are the hills like? I'm fine with hills but on a 120-mile I can see myself struggling.

Presumably once you get in to Suffolk it goes a bit flat but what's it like before that.
  • CiB
    Chadders81 wrote:
    I'm tempted this year.

What are the hills like? I'm fine with hills but on a 120-mile I can see myself struggling.

Presumably once you get in to Suffolk it goes a bit flat but what's it like before that.
    The first few hours are great as it's mainly downhill with the odd small climb. Towards the end there are a few awkward climbs but nothing bad. From memory there are a couple of bigger ones that you hit at 2 / 3 AM but it's dark so they don't matter - you can't see a half mile 1 in 8 climb stretching out ahead so you just grind up until it ends. Hills usually do end.

It's a very good event and I found 120 miles overnight easier than 100 miles in daylight. Put it down to the dark, getting lost a bit, riding in groups for long periods, the first 20 miles out of London disappearing without you noticing, whatever. Huge fun. Crap end to it, waiting on the beach for a lift home.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Can't be that many hills, its East Anglia after all.

Can't make this years date but reckon I've got Mrs T enthused to tackle this on the tandem next year.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Zilla80
    Zilla80 Posts: 8
    Doing the DD first time this year with another guy from my bike shop. I live in the styx so country roads at night aren't really a problem. A bit nervous at the prospect at riding through london though. And ive heard that Epping is pretty horrific. Although looking at the route its all over in 14 miles.
  • CasperCCC
    CasperCCC Posts: 14
    Cycling in London's fine. Cars are used to cyclists, and they usually give you loads of space. I know some people have bad experiences, but I ride every day and have only ever had one near prang.

But I used to live in East London so I've ridden that long road through Epping Forest a fair few times. It's horrible even in daylight. Nasty narrow cycle lane with really awkward cat's eyes that only make it worse. I'm not looking forward to that bit.

All that said, it's not that far, there should be enough cyclists to mean that the cars give you a bit of space, and best of all, pretty soon after that you're into open countryside.

I'm getting excited. Really looking forward to it. Working hard at convincing my workmates that it's a good idea, because I'm guessing that it's going to be a lot easier with a friend.

I do have one mate who's definitely going, but he's a ninja cyclist. I'll die if I try to keep up with him. (He's planning to cycle back to London after the run. He's mental.)
  • CiB
    CasperCCC wrote:
    I've ridden that long road through Epping Forest a fair few times. It's horrible even in daylight. Nasty narrow cycle lane with really awkward cat's eyes that only make it worse. I'm not looking forward to that bit.
    I woouldn't worry - make sure you set off with enough other riders and the issue of fitting inside a cycle lane won't arise. There's a steady stream of bikes taking up a good chunk of the roads to the extent that it's cars that have to hang back. And although the start time is supposed to be closer to 9 than 8, it was good to be away by around 8:20 last year. As a noob to London cycling that bit of daylight was quite welcome for the first few miles.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Bumping this one...

As I creep into my thirties the beer and pies are starting to catch up with me and I need a target to help me shift the lard. Is Dunwich a good thing to start aiming for?

I've been easing back into riding - 20 miles or so is the furthest I've been recently, but when I was younger I used to do 60 miles up and around Exmoor on a mountain bike; currently I've got a Scott Sportster hybrid but would probably pick up a cheap s/h roadie if I was training properly. Reading a few of the reviews it suggests if you can do 60-80 miles reasonably easily it'll be possible... five months should be enough to get up to that level?

Lastly; I actually live about 400m as the crow flies from the Dunwich route, near Epping Forest. I assume it's bad form to join as it passes rather than going 10 miles into London and then turning around to come straight back? ;)

(And hello all).
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    Lastly; I actually live about 400m as the crow flies from the Dunwich route, near Epping Forest. I assume it's bad form to join as it passes rather than going 10 miles into London and then turning around to come straight back? ;)

It's a very informal gathering, so joining wherever you like is fine.

The ride itself is very straightforward. Flat, quiet, quick.
    The problem for me both times I did it was the lack of sleep. Felt rubbish at 6am!
    exercise.png
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    The route is quite gentle, but the timing of it is the hard part. At around 3AM your body winds down and you want sleep, so keeping going is the hard part. As long as you're fit enough (and 5 months should be plenty of time to sort that out) then the hard part is mental, not physical.

Get some decent lights, get a bit of training in and get to the start if you can (its a good atmoshpere) but don't stress if you can't.

Also, do a good weather dance (riding 100+ miles in the rain ain't much fun) and take a towel to dry off after the swim in the sea at the end.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • 30 June - 1 July? Where do I sign up/get more info?

Doing LR on May19/20 and a possible L2P on July6/9 just wondering if this is one too far...or not...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Gussio
    Good bump - worth thinking about return travel arrangements earlier rather than later.

No sign up and no start time. London Fields from 8ish. Drop a quid in the pot and off you go.

See you on the 30th :D
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    For return travel arrangements I was planning on begging my other half to drive up in the morning. Or phoning her from whatever hedge I collapse into on the way :)

Seriously though, I feel like I can do this. Discipline and Rule 5.

I must be mad.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • dhope
    I wimped out last year when the weather looked like it'd be pissing down the whole time
    Then it didn't rain at all

I'm not going to wimp out this year. Rule 5 applies.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I'm looking forward to this. Will offer (a) sacrifice(s) to the weather gods for a dry night.