whats the best way to improve my speed

tony m
tony m Posts: 53
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
at the moment going to work im averaging between 17.5 mph and 19.5 mph and on my homeward return its around 18 mph to to 21 mph,its an 8.3 each way journey passing plenty off traffic lights and the normal town traffic any ideas about what would be the best way to improve my average time . :)

Comments

• Unclemonty121
    Unclemonty121 Posts: 205
    A bike fit did wonders for me
    Look 675 Light Di2
    Boardman Pro C winter hack
    Cannondale Prophet
    Decathlon Hub geared City bike
  • seadog12
    seadog12 Posts: 36
    They're pretty impressive average speeds - with a lot of variables to get a consistent benchmark. If you're averaging around 20mph you might need to start looking at aerodynamics, your fitness is obviously high enough :) The first six miles on my long commute home are flat and I can average around 23 as long as there's no headwind and I'm riding on the drops (but then I hit the hills) - a friend's given me some clip on tri bars which I'm going to try at some point, just a little wary as to how I'll brake quickly if needed :)
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    In traffic it can be quite hard because of all the stop starts you can't really get into a proper rhythm well i find it hard to. How is your cadence at the moment, that plays a part in speed also fitness in general, perhaps set yourself targets getting to a certain set of lights/landmark by a certain time usually helps me.
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Try more intense rides outside the commute. This will help with your endurance and so your speed between the lights over the course of the commute.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • frankieh
    frankieh Posts: 85
    BIG SQUATS
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Open roads!

You need to get away from traffic and lights in particular.

Any improvements on your current routes will be small.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Extend the commute a couple of evenings a week and try and avoid traffic lights. Richmond Park is great if you're in SW London, I'm sure there's something similar if you're not.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    [quote="seadog12"]They're pretty impressive average speeds - with a lot of variables to get a consistent benchmark. If you're averaging around 20mph you might need to start looking at aerodynamics, your fitness is obviously high enough :) The first six miles on my long commute home are flat and I can average around 23 as long as there's no headwind and I'm riding on the drops (but then I hit the hills) - a friend's given me some clip on tri bars which I'm going to try at some point, just a little wary as to how I'll brake quickly if needed :)[/quote]

+1.

I also agree with cjcp. I've improved my average speed through club riding (joined one in January) and my ave went up from a steady 16mph to rather health 18.5 - 19.5 mph.