rear deraleur jamming on carrara fury

Cog Head
Cog Head Posts: 53
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
hi all, im new to the pedal power side of bikes.
ive been and got myself a fury, and ive been loving it, ive done about 150 miles on it so far, but on the way back form the last 20 mile run i did, i noticed that when i put the crank set of gears on the middle sprocket, and go to high gears on the rear sprockets, its kinda nicks on something when im peddling and it will lock up completely more often than not, ive had it upside down and peddled the crankw ith my hand in said gear, and its like the chain dosent want to stay on the sprocket... any ideas

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    rear mech needs setting up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cog Head
    so its kinda been run in and gone a bit slack now then? how do i go about setting it up? is there a guide online somwhere?
  • pugaltitude
    pugaltitude Posts: 191
    Do it youself or take it back to Halfords if its only done 150 miles and hear what they have to say.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Learn to do it yourself, it's a regular fettle.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cog Head
    thanks for that link, think ill have a nights worth of maintenance on it tomorrow after work, im the sort of person who dose everything myself, mainly because when ive done it, i know its perfect 8) and i can only blame myself when it all goes t!ts up :roll:

how often should i be doing this then? it cant be healthy for the chain or running gear to leave it till it get caught up
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As soon as the change isn't smooth and easy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cog Head
    rite, ive just spent about an hour playing with it and smashing my knee off the stem :evil: and i think ive got it about as good as its going to be, but now it sometimes jumps a tooth or 2 when i change gear, and the chain tries to jump off the front middle every now and then... have i broken it? is my chain dead?

when i first had the bike i could ride in any gear and it would be fine, whats changed since then?
  • supafly1982
    supafly1982 Posts: 631
    still slightly out of line, ie not indexed, heres some vids that might help you settig up gears

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j1gSwhsVN8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tQxJqGVznM

if these vids dont suit your technique im sure oyu can find other vids that will help using other peoples methods :wink:
  • Cog Head
    nice one! thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Learning to set up indexing can be long and painful, but once you've leanry its easy and you get the satisfaction of the weetest shifts, also once set up on the stand don't be afriad to use the front adjuster 'on the fly' to optimise the shifts under the load you can't simulate stationary, I always centre the front adjuster in it's travel before indexing at the rear (static).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.