anyone really starting to notice price rises in cycling?

davmaggs
davmaggs Posts: 1,008
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
I know that bike prices have been going up, but I'd put that down to the C2W scheme causing inflation, but recently a search for tools gave me a bit of a surprise.

I recently recommended a Park Tools tool to a friend who was asking about doing some home repairs and he came back to me saying how expensive the tool was. I thought he was being a bit of a Google biff (I know they aren't overly cheap), but when I checked I was actually really surprised that in the year or so since I made my purchase inflation seems to have really let rip on Park Tools.

Anyone else noticed big rises in imported gear?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Starting?

It's gone up between 10 - 40 per cent since 2007 when I was buying a lot of stuff in my experience.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Yep been going up massively since around 07. I bought my best bike, a Focus Cayo with 105 groupset in 07 for £799, now the same bike is £1200 or something. Admittedly £799 was teh sale price and the full price was £999 but it's still gone up. In around 08 you could just about get bike with Ultegra for under £1000 if you looked about but I think it's pretty much impossible now...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Well according to this link:

http://www.advfn.com/p.php?pid=qkchart&symbol=FX%5EGBPJPY

there were about 200 Japanese Yen to the pound in 2008, now it's about 150

There is a similar story for the US dollar
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    yes BUT there are also some really good bargains to be had if you are prepared to shop around and be happy with last year's (or the year before's) kit. Plus, C2W has murdered the second hand market for sellers but made it great for buyers. Just speaking from recent experience as I've built 2 bikes from scratch in the last 4 months.

If you must have the latest latest then you're stuffed but the shops rely on people upgrading constantly to 'keep up' and I think recent economic events have left a lot of new old stock gathering dust.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I would have 30% plus on most things over the last couple of years.

Wish wages went up like that.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Hard to tell, everythings getting more expensive.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    jomoj wrote:
    yes BUT there are also some really good bargains to be had if you are prepared to shop around and be happy with last year's (or the year before's) kit. Plus, C2W has murdered the second hand market for sellers but made it great for buyers. Just speaking from recent experience as I've built 2 bikes from scratch in the last 4 months.

Is that from buying used bikes to get parts? I've done some rough pricing and it seemed to me that unless you have a good collection of bits in the shed then buying a complete bike is cheaper that doing it yourself.

I supposed what sparked this was seeing a Park Tool leap to £40 whilst I wasn't looking from about £23. For the home repair once a year that is steep even with my mindset of buy quality tools. Plus the exchange rate with the USD is no longer so bad, but I suppose retailers don't cut prices once the inflation has set in.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I got the Charge from Wiggle for £599.00 down from £899.00 but I notice this years model is about £120.00 more expensive
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    the 2011 version of my hardtail is £300 more expensive my 2010 model...

couple of difference..like tapered headtube....but £300? jee and zo
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    2008 - My frame & forks = £1000

2011 - My frame & forks = £1800 :shock:

I am really glad that I got it when I did as I thought I was pushing the boat out back then.
    I would have a hard time justifying it to myself at today's prices.

£1800 recommended price although JE James has it at £1450. More palatable but can they deliver? (No insinuation, just asking).
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • ichabod
    ichabod Posts: 78
    Yeah - bike prices have increased a scary amount over the last couple of years. We are being shafted in the UK. Next time I buy an expensive bike I'll consider travelling to the states or SE asia to pick one up at half the price.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    jimmypippa wrote:

In July 2007 there was 250 yen to the pound. Today it's 133.70.

But the real effect is the Chinese production boom. Their population is getting a higher standard of living and costs are going up there very slightly. The Chinese govn are artificially controlling the Renminbi. There are now fewer places in the world where there's very cheap labour capable of operating as efficiently as a chinese factory.

Metal prices have shot through the roof and there's a shortage of some linked to bicycles.

Fuel costs for transportation and energy for production have also increased. VAT has gone up a bit.

What I'm saying is, we're fooked! Open your wallets wider!!!
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Plus, we have printed £200bn, more than doubling the narrow money supply!!!!
    exercise.png
  • nc1584
    nc1584 Posts: 14
    jimmypippa wrote:

In July 2007 there was 250 yen to the pound. Today it's 133.70.

But the real effect is the Chinese production boom. Their population is getting a higher standard of living and costs are going up there very slightly. The Chinese govn are artificially controlling the Renminbi. There are now fewer places in the world where there's very cheap labour capable of operating as efficiently as a chinese factory.

Metal prices have shot through the roof and there's a shortage of some linked to bicycles.

Fuel costs for transportation and energy for production have also increased. VAT has gone up a bit.

What I'm saying is, we're fooked! Open your wallets wider!!!

+1 Plus increasing oil costs impact on plastics, rubber etc
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper Elite
    2010 Whyte 905 (stolen)

2010 was an expensive year!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    davmaggs wrote:
    jomoj wrote:

Is that from buying used bikes to get parts?

When I built the Doris bike I bought a good used bike as a donor for most components, the bike (new frame, forks headset and saddle, LX rear, XT front, 8x2 with bash) only costs about £60 as I made more on the bits of the donor bike I sold than it cost in the first place, without even accounting for the bits I was using!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.