Best route from central London to Dover?

skinsey
skinsey Posts: 105
edited May 2011 in Tour & expedition
I'm after some advice please. Later in the summer I'm lead navigator for 4 of us doing an unsupported London to Paris ride, and as such I'm busy route planning.

The French side looks fairly straightforward, but I'm hoping to tap into the experience of anyone who's done something similar in the past for the UK leg, either unsupported or as part of an organised party. The route from London to Faversham looks functional but ok (out to Greenwich, Dartford, north Kent coast), but after that it's less great. I obviously want to avoid the A2 after Faversham, and the alternatives look very fiddly indeed.

So, any routing advice please? The only thing I can rule out is any destination other than Dover, as the ferry's already booked! Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Russell Smith
    Russell Smith Posts: 229
    see www.veloandblue.com

The first stage in the middle column goes out through surrey and into kent via Tunbridge Wells, if you chuck us an email velo@kewafc.co.uk I'll send you the pdf by return

All the best

Russ
  • skinsey
    skinsey Posts: 105
    Will do, thanks.
  • EnglishChris
    EnglishChris Posts: 210
    see www.veloandblue.com

The first stage in the middle column goes out through surrey and into kent via Tunbridge Wells, if you chuck us an email velo@kewafc.co.uk I'll send you the pdf by return

All the best

Russ

Ah could I get you to also send the pdf to me? I'm planning a ride from London to Switzerland in August / September, probably via Dover so this would be very useful. I'll ping you an email....?

Cheers, Chris
    Offroad: Canyon Nerve XC8 (2012)
    Touring / Commuting: On-One Inbred (2011)(FCN9)

http://uninspiredramblings.wordpress.com
  • culverwood
    culverwood Posts: 256
    from Canterbury to Dover you can go Bridge, Barham, Shepherdswell, Lydden.

You only have to go on the main A2 for a few stretches between Faversham and Canterbury.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    see www.veloandblue.com

All the best

Russ

Might be a good idea to post a link to the pdf - this is quite a popular question!

Might also reduce the amount of spam you get.
  • TipsterStu
    TipsterStu Posts: 74
    see www.veloandblue.com

All the best

Russ

Did a link to the PDF ever get published?
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    culverwood wrote:

You only have to go on the main A2 for a few stretches between Faversham and Canterbury.

Not needed - from Faversham you can go along Love Lane to Bramley Corner RAB, off on the main A2 towards Canterbury then immediately take the slip-road to Boughton/Dunkirk village. Up the hill to the top, turn left at the mast and there's a lovely drop down to Blean, just outside Canterbury. Then go through Blean, past the UKC and into the City. From there you can then follow the route identified above - my regular commute is from Sittingbourne to Canterbury! :)