ear worms - a safety question....

PBo
PBo Posts: 2,493
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Had "Duel" by Propaganda as an earworm this morning, accompanied me all the way on my 50 min journey, which felt like it only took 40 mins!

If it seems that I "lost" 10 mins, then presumably I was not paying sufficient attention.

Does this mean I need to shoot myself in the head next time it happens, as unlike an ipod etc, there are no wires to remove from my ears....

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    PBo wrote:
    Had "Duel" by Propaganda as an earworm this morning, accompanied me all the way on my 50 min journey, which felt like it only took 40 mins!

If it seems that I "lost" 10 mins, then presumably I was not paying sufficient attention.

Does this mean I need to shoot myself in the head next time it happens, as unlike an ipod etc, there are no wires to remove from my ears....

This is some kind of weird Zen thing isn't it? You lost 10 minutes, so want to shoot yourself when you next lose 10 minutes... but if you've lost them, you won't know you've lost them, therefore you can't shoot yourself.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Kiss with a fist by Florence and the Machine for me this morning.

I wake up with an ear-worm almost every day - or at the very least generate one by the time I get to the bathroom, it's bizarre and seems to have no bearing on what I've listened to recently.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Earworm cure:

sing to yourself

"Hey mickey you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, hey Mickey! Hey Mickey" x10.

Your current earworm will leave and Mickey will follow shortly afterwards.

M
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    earworms are statistically safer than ipods*.

* this forum does not condone the wearing whilst cycling of ipods more or less than the wearing of any other headphone transmitted audio device.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    My daughter has acquired a pet snail called "Alice" causing my to have "Alice what's the matter" by Terrorvision as my ear worm for over 2 hours on my Sunday morning ride, great song, new PB but after 2 hours it was driving me mad.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    mroli wrote:
    Earworm cure:

sing to yourself

"Hey mickey you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, hey Mickey! Hey Mickey" x10.

M

Oh for fu.......

At least an hour left until I can get in the car and put the radio on to get rid of that.

Hey mickey.....hey hey.....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    bails87 wrote:
    mroli wrote:
    Earworm cure:

sing to yourself

M

Oh for fu.......

At least an hour left until I can get in the car and put the radio on to get rid of that.

I can help there:
    You will need sound
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • bails87 wrote:
    mroli wrote:
    Earworm cure:

sing to yourself

M

Oh for fu.......

I can help there:
    You will need sound

That could be worse...
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Mines been Gallows Pole - from Page and Plant Unledded.

Sometimes I wish I could have headphones in and ride.......
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    you can if you want Sketchley - its not against the law.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Just wear over ear, open headphones. :D
  • sketchley
    I know. I just won't. I rely to much on my hearing when riding.
    --
    Chris

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I have a kindle on my handlebars for when I want to use my ears.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    edited May 2011
    I find a well placed earworm can be your friend, they sometimes help me maintain my pace.
    This usually does the trick! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r9jcBxB ... re=related
    Graham.
  • Flyingbogey
    Flyingbogey Posts: 352
    I often wear my ipod and 'up' my other sensory checks as a result. I have had no problems other than concealing the fact i'm doing it from the wife, chopped my earphones off wrapping them up when approaching home on the move once. Always stop and do it properly now!
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    After seeing some poor sod flattened by a taxi turning across him I'm NEVER wearing headphones and I can't abide watching people who do. I tend to wince every time they jump at the scooter overtaking them, and I worry they won't react to me either.

The taxi was a proper rattly rustbucket and the guy didn't even hear it coming. :roll:

Surely, in central London, it's a MASSIVE contradiction of all common sense?
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • sketchley
    Thanks to BBC news this morning's ear worm was Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. grrrhhhhhhhh
    --
    Chris

• bails87
    hfidgen wrote:
    After seeing some poor sod flattened by a taxi turning across him I'm NEVER wearing headphones and I can't abide watching people who do. I tend to wince every time they jump at the scooter overtaking them, and I worry they won't react to me either.

The taxi was a proper rattly rustbucket and the guy didn't even hear it coming. :roll:

How do you feel about car drivers who block out sound with windows and radios?
    MTB/CX

• sketchley
    bails87 wrote:
    hfidgen wrote:

Multiple mirrors?
    --
    Chris

• HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Well mine this monring was the Bran Flakes advert.

"They're tasty, tasty, very very tasty, they're very tasty" repeat ad nauseum.

Hope I don't get it on the way home, I may just go mad.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    An ear phone in the left ear acts as the perfect anti ear worm device, can still hear everything I need to. I probably ride even safer with it, don't get so bored I enter cruise mode and always shoulder check.
  • hfidgen
    bails87 wrote:

They're fine, as Sketchley said, mirrors, lane markings and mutual (if limited) respect from other drivers tend to make it easier for them. Obviously cars crash too, so don't start a pointless argument here :)

As a cyclist who's acutely aware he's nearly always one mistake away from a month in traction, I don't understand cyclists who choose to reduce the number of useful cycling senses to 1.
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • irishdan13
    irishdan13 Posts: 76
    Mine was "The Grand old Duke of York"

The joys of small children at Breakfast time...........

Giant TCR Advanced 3 '12
    Giant Trance X2 '09
    GT Avalanche Expert '07
    Claud Butler Milano '07
  • pianoleo
    pianoleo Posts: 135
    iPete wrote:
    An ear phone in the left ear acts as the perfect anti ear worm device, can still hear everything I need to. I probably ride even safer with it, don't get so bored I enter cruise mode and always shoulder check.

+1
  • bails87
    hfidgen wrote:
    so don't start a pointless argument here :)
    :lol:

You can read me like a book! :D
    MTB/CX

• Clare_M
    Clare_M Posts: 68
    I have Rhianna's "Come On" in my head a lot, especially whilst trying to build some speed. I would never wear an ipod whilst on the road, though have done on a long cycle path on my own. Keeps my legs pedalling :D
    I was a fatty, then I took up cycling and can now eat cake guilt free!

"Triples are for girls" My Husband, 2010. (Evidently not for this girl though!)
  • hfidgen
    bails87 wrote:
    You can read me like a book! :D

Just getting used to the forums :lol:

I think I misunderstood what the OP meant by earworm too :roll:
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02