Square Taper crank/BB question

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Couple of questions on square taper cranks,

I removed the original (factory/on brand new bike) arms, then put them back on as the new crank I purchased required a new BB/mech etc and I just couldnt be arsed.

however I noticed that even though I have tightened them up DAMN tight, there is a mark left on the axle where they 'reached' fresh from the factory fitting. I cannot tighten them physically, by hand anymore and the last thing I want is a rounded/snapped bolt. Ive got them up to about 1mm from where they were originally. Will this be a problem?

Also, is it best to add some grease? as I think that might be the solution, also to stop them seizing etc....

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no grease.

just reset the mech.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Big Cheese
    nicklouse wrote:
    no grease.

just reset the mech.

Yes, It hink the H screw needs to be adjusted.

Thanks for the info on the 'no grease' on axle, I would have put some on :oops:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    DO NOT grease the square taper......

How sure are you that the mark is where the axle originally came to not from something else?

What arms did you buy that didn't fit your BB, square taper (for MTB) is square taper! Your mech may have needed some setting up, no more!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nicklouse wrote:
    no grease.

just reset the mech.

Yes, It hink the H screw needs to be adjusted.

Thanks for the info on the 'no grease' on axle, I would have put some on :oops:

TBH some crank makers do say grease but most dont. and the one that says grease gives a torque setting.

so no torque wrench? no grease.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Big Cheese
    Update.

H limit on front mech adjusted, new cable and now all is good in the world.