Keswick Sportiver: who's riding?

nickwill
nickwill Posts: 2,735
Just wondered who was doing this one. Having not entered the Fred Whitton this year, I thought I would get my hill fix with this one.
http://www.highterrainevents.co.uk/11.html
Only 64 miles but lots of climbing. Whinlatter, Newlands and Honister all twice, and the second ascents of all of them virtually back to back. Can't wait!
Has anyone on here ridden this one before?

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I did it last year (did the Fred this year!). It's a nice event and well organised (they squeezed an extra feed stop in at Buttermere because of the heat that day). Packs a lot of climbing in a short distance which works well for me as it is the flat bits that tend to wear me out. Slightly disconcerting on the run to Buttermere (after the first of the climbs - Whinlatter) to meet riders coming the other way who had already done their first Newlands and Honister ascents! Still, I did the same to the late starters :lol:

Just be careful on the Honister descents in particular.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bs147
    bs147 Posts: 164
    I've entered, haven't done it before but looking forward to it. No 6 Passes map on the website yet I don't think.
  • nickwill
    If you go to the main map on the website and click on it, the long route is there.
    Having plotted the route on to Memory Map the claimed amount of climbing is understated. They claim 2200m of climbing, while Memory Map claims 2966. I usually deduct 10% from the MemoryMap total but that still brings it to 2669m. That would seem about right!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Nickwill wrote:
    If you go to the main map on the website and click on it, the long route is there.
    Having plotted the route on to Memory Map the claimed amount of climbing is understated. They claim 2200m of climbing, while Memory Map claims 2966. I usually deduct 10% from the MemoryMap total but that still brings it to 2669m. That would seem about right!

I recall getting a bit puzzled about the height gain. If you look at Simon Warrens book, each climb is listed in one direction - Honister = 239m, Newlands 205m, Whinlatter 231. That comes to 675m. Multiply that by two (yes, not very accurate I know!) and you get 1350m. So, the big climbs only seem to represent about half the overall. I suppose its right but it doesn't feel like it!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • badgerlurve
    badgerlurve Posts: 31
    I haven't entered yet but plan too, did it last year and the Fred this year. I live close to cockermouth so a local training route for me. It's a good event, honister from Buttermere side is tough but the rest is fine. Hope the weather is better than it was on Sunday for the Fred, newlands in hail was not particularly nice!
  • nickwill
    I haven't entered yet but plan too, did it last year and the Fred this year. I live close to cockermouth so a local training route for me. It's a good event, honister from Buttermere side is tough but the rest is fine. Hope the weather is better than it was on Sunday for the Fred, newlands in hail was not particularly nice!
    I spent the last month wishing I had entered the Fred again (I was ill earlier in the year and wasn't sure at that stage whether I would have the fitness), but spent Sunday feeling glad that I hadn't when I saw the weather!