Thinking of trying tubeless...

alanp1984
alanp1984 Posts: 61
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a set of Stans ZTR flow rims I'm keen to give tubeless a bash but really need to know the bare minimum required to switch...

I'm thinking a valve stem and some goo?

Anyone got a better clue or previous experience?

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Turn of Stan's yellow tape, valve, goo, appropriate tyre.

That last one can really make or break your opinion, I recommend Schwalbe, but don't bother with the new Tubeless Ready ones, pick up a bargain on the old ones.
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    njee20 wrote:
    That last one can really make or break your opinion, I recommend Schwalbe, but don't bother with the new Tubeless Ready ones, pick up a bargain on the old ones.

+1. I've tried tubeless with Maxxis and Panaracer tyres (both non-UST). The Maxxis have been perfect, sealed straight away and no pressure loss. The panaracers took a couple of weeks to seal up but were prone to burping as the beads are very slack.

Also, with Flows you need the wider (25mm) rim tape and Stans Olympic valves. If you haven't already, have a look at the videos on the notubes web site.
  • jmj
    jmj Posts: 100
    Yellow tape and valve works great with flows. There are some good instructions on the just riding along website for how to fit it.

Maxis tyres tend to work well, although I recently put on a Specialized Eskar on the rear with great results. Easiest tyre I've ever seated!

J
    Commencal Meta 55 Team custom build
    Giant Trance 06
  • Thanks very much for the info guys, I'm so bad at knowing when someone has replied to a post on here!

A friend of mine had nothing but bother with his tubeless setup this year in Morzine hence why I haven't been chasing this up. I do still fancy it though so when I finally have some free time this Summer I'l be whopping these wheels onto some kind of hard tail frame and your tips should save me some cash on tyre choice: non UST all the way!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    alanp1984 wrote:
    Thanks very much for the info guys, I'm so bad at knowing when someone has replied to a post on here!
    When you post a new topic tick the little box marked "Notify me when a reply is posted" and the system will send you an email - simple really!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • alanp1984
    alanp1984 Posts: 61
    Cheers Simon, once again you can see I'm a month or two behind in the reply stakes here..