Will I regret choosing pink?

welkman
welkman Posts: 396
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
So I got enough to get me a second bike and have settled on the Planet X Sl Pro. I really like the idea of a bright pink bike, but will I regret not choosing a more 'sensible' colour in the long run??? Your thoughts please....

Welkman

Comments

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Yes.

Apollo-560185--Sweetie-Girls-Bike---12.jpg
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    i saw a fella on an on-one pink 29er and although he looked substantially gay, the bike looked cool in a non hetro sort of way
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • deptfordmarmoset
    deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
    welkman wrote:
    So I got enough to get me a second bike and have settled on the Planet X Sl Pro. I really like the idea of a bright pink bike, but will I regret not choosing a more 'sensible' colour in the long run??? Your thoughts please....

Welkman

Think of the humiliation that men will feel being overtaken by a pink bike! You're going to need to be up to the challenge but it will be very rewarding when you clinch it.

On practical front, bright pink is highly visible (cf fluorescent pink highlighters) and women drivers will give you a very wide berth :wink:
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    \If you can overtake people you will love it. If you are a MAMIL it will be extremely ghey.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • tri-sexual
    tri-sexual Posts: 672
    pink is great but you have to be fast
    if you are fast then its seriously cool
    if you are slow then you will have the pi$$ taken out of you
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    duct_tape_black.jpg

see 'the pig' below
    Hat + Beard
  • Lakesman
    Lakesman Posts: 46
    i got a flam pink (with a blue stripe) re-spray on the ribble a few years back. thought it was great until the neighbour called it a pink and purple monster. from that point on it was just a matter of time before it went... be sure before you go pink. very sure.
  • Lakesman
    Lakesman Posts: 46
    i got a flam pink (with a blue stripe) re-spray on the ribble a few years back. thought it was great until the neighbour called it a pink and purple monster. from that point on it was just a matter of time before it went... be sure before you go pink. very sure.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    edited May 2011
    You know that song, "A Boy named Sue."?
    It's a bit like that....Your just going to have to work a bit harder! :lol:
    Graham.
  • welkman
    Hmmm, so what your saying is you need to be really fast and have massive kahunas....maybe I will stick with the black then. I have noticed that there is only photos of one pink framed sl pro on the whole of the interweb compared to hundreds of white/red and black ones!
  • Put a wicker basket on the front a wear a flowing skirt and people will barely notice the colour.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    There was a story on tv last night about a rugby team that were made to wear pink.

I think it was a punishment.
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...I know there are all sorts of justifications and reasons to go pink..but no don't do it welkman, it's wrong, wrong, wrong...unless you are getting it for an absolute bargain price...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    probably especially riding by a boozer on a warm day and people are outside soaking up beer and sun.
    Myself its black bikes all the way
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Do it; it looks cool. It will draw attention, but if you've got a nice bike then there's nothing wrong with that.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Probably less likely to be stolen
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    If you ride a pink bike you better be the fastest thing on your commute at all times. I'm talking racer level speed. I mean not even Jonginge would own a pink bike. Greg did but he has an OCD with colours.

Still, now you own a pink bike riding faster than everyone else is the only way to negate the Gay.

If you look like you've blown up - gay.

Struggle up hill - gay.

Rest day (on the pink bike) - gay.

You've committed yourself to riding ferociously at all times. That's what pink bikes do.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    If you like pink then ride a pink bike no problem
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Get this - not gay at all.

Crown_Jewel_Ti_Main.jpg
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    nich wrote:
    There was a story on tv last night about a rugby team that were made to wear pink.

I think it was a punishment.

Stade Francais play in pink but I suspect that is due to the leanings of their chairman.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    tumblr_lkoem52Do61qga534o1_500.jpg

Pink (as opposed to hot pink) on a bike is the colour of champions in Italy.
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    remember and put Show Tunes on your MP3 player but WTF its only a color :- Enjoy and who really gives a crap ???????????
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Get this - not gay at all.

Crown_Jewel_Ti_Main.jpg

Of course.

Unless...
    You look like you've blown up - gay.

Your struggling up hill - gay.

You have a rest day (on the pink bike) - gay.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    I hate to be that Politically Correct Guy, but why is it OK that "gay" is used as an insult?
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • welkman
    In refrence to the picture above, the Planet X is a proper 'mans' shade of pink, not some salmon couloured wannabe pink hue :lol:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    AidanR wrote:
    I hate to be that Politically Correct Guy, but why is it OK that "gay" is used as an insult?

Just Jew off and stop being so black about it.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    1237979077229-yverdp8n86f1-500-90-500-70.jpg

I've seen a couple of these around. Not the best colour for the SL Pro (Which is of course red...) but if you're riding it fast, it really does make a statement.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    If I had a pink SL Pro, (which I was very tempted to), I would have added blue highlights, such as a blue saddle and blue bar tape to "man it up" a bit....
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • seadog12
    seadog12 Posts: 36
    Agree with the comment above - blue tape and saddle and the 2008 Lampre team kit to complete the look :) Stunning.

2008_giro_d_italia_stage10_time_trial_marzio_bruseghin_lampre_wins.jpg
  • edb999
    edb999 Posts: 44
    Ginjafro wrote:
    If I had a pink SL Pro, (which I was very tempted to), I would have added blue highlights, such as a blue saddle and blue bar tape to "man it up" a bit....
    That's a bit like putting boxing gloves on Graham Norton and giving him a squirt of Brut. Your not going to fool any one.