do you leave your locks at work?

aripallaris
aripallaris Posts: 294
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
just wondering what you guys do on your regular work commutes. my kryptonite new york is a serious lump and lugging it about everyday does require a little extra effort..

do you guys just leave it locked up at work, in which case do you have a spare lock for home use and maybe something much lighter in case you decide to stop into a shop on the way home?

Comments

• shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Yes, decent D lock at work, bombproof one at home & toughened cable for looping the wheels for when I know I'm going out and leaving it alone for a while and a decent cable lock that comes with me everywhere in case I need to nip in somewhere on my way to/from home
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    Two locks at work, one at home.
  • aripallaris
    aripallaris Posts: 294
    so would you guys recommend a second krypto new york and an ultra tuff padlock for the wirecable?
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    Yup.
  • Vivica
    Vivica Posts: 68
    I leave my cable lock at work, just lock it up outside the office.
    This being said, i live in Guernsey where bike crime is a fairly small problem...
  • I don't as it happens but I have secure private parking at work so a mid range D lock and cable is fine. I carry them with me in case I want to stop at the shops (or the pub) on the way home.

If my work parking was less secure then I would leave a heavyweight lock at work, but would still want to carry a half decent lock with me.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yup - D-lock at work (though probably unnnecessary but it isn't worth the risk). Nothing at home because the bike lives in the garage.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    Keep one at work toughened cable lock at home i have room to store indoors
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I leave my main locks at work. New York Mini and an Abus Steeloflex thingimajig. I leave them locked up just inside the (access controlled) main door into the office. That way no-one can tamper with them overnight.

When I get to work in the morning I just nip in, unlock them and I'm back out to my bike in about 5 seconds. If I was paranoid I could walk the bike in with me :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    One left at work, second one at home!
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    Cheapo one at work and decent at home for when I nip to shops.

Work has very good security with cameras so only need a visual deterrent
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    d lock + cable lock left at work along with the bike being in a locked bike shed.

At home the bike is chained to a wall point inside a garage .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cheapo cable lock at work as the bike is stored in the building.

Decent lock for away from home.

Daughters BF just had his decentish Carrera MTB knicked as he used a cheap cable lock in town (the number of times had I told him this would happen I can't count - now of course he's devastated as it took him 6 months of saving to buy it for some scroat to knick.)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    read somewhere to spend 10% of the value of the bike on a lock...not sure if that still counts...depends on the bike and crime rate !
    When I moved to London the first thing I did was buy two Krytonite Farenhittes and chain...dont trust anyone !
    Def keep a few Dlocks at work...and cable lock, but as I can see the bike from my desk (its in the office) Im a little slack in locking it :shock:
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I leave the D-Lock at work. I'm not lugging that around every day...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Yup - D-lock at work (though probably unnnecessary but it isn't worth the risk). Nothing at home because the bike lives in the garage.

My garage was broken in twice :( and had my bikes stolen. I now lock the bikes in the garage as well.

and I have a D lock which stays at work.
    Steve C
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Yep always leave mine in work. Its a fairly heavy duty number so would be a lot of extra weight to be carrying around.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Yes, decent D lock at work, bombproof one at home & toughened cable for looping the wheels for when I know I'm going out and leaving it alone for a while and a decent cable lock that comes with me everywhere in case I need to nip in somewhere on my way to/from home

This.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Something to beware of with leaving locks at the destination. It has been known for theives to glue the locks left laying around so they are useless - then when bike is left unlocked nick it. Just somethign to be aweare of.

Also how do you stop on the way home to do your shopping / go to the pub? Ah - you guys aren't commuting are you? You are SCRing so the weight really matters! Haha
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Fair point - I lock mine up on work premises though - security fences all around and 24hr security - I think the lock is safe!! Wouldn't leave my lock unattended on the street, outside a station for example.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Something to beware of with leaving locks at the destination. It has been known for theives to glue the locks left laying around so they are useless - then when bike is left unlocked nick it. Just somethign to be aweare of.
    Yep, this is why I leave my locks behind a locked door. Maybe the locked door should be in a safe, and the safe should be padlocked to a rottweiler and...... :lol:
    Also how do you stop on the way home to do your shopping / go to the pub?

I don't!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    Yes.
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    I have my steed parked in my server room - well I am the boss :twisted: I keep a D lock in my backpack for the occasional shopping stops.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk