gt-idrive 5 - replacement bolts

farmer_giles
farmer_giles Posts: 39
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi , Can anyone help.
I am having all sort of difficulty trying to get a replacement bolt for the dog bone that attaches to the frame.

Looking at the manual it is a M5x0.8x10. I have tried 3 bike shops in Liverpool and have tried searching on the internet. I have not tried halfords after seeing a thread, where one of the posters was charged 160 quid.

Has anyone had the same issue trying to get replacement parts, its just that I can't believe GT would use bolts that cannot be replaced.

Appreciate any advice / help.
Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I am pretty sure these are the same as standard bottle cage bolts:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... Googlebase
  • supersonic,
    thanks for your reply. do you know of any issues fitting the bolt as you have suggested rather than whats in the manual. i.e in the manual it says x0.8 x10. but you have suggested x10. the reason why i am asking is because th temporary bolt that is in place, leaves a little bit of play in the dogbone, resulting in the crank moving slightly. Hence I am keen to get the right size.
    cheers
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    5mm x 0.8mm Many uses on bicycles, including derailleur wire pinch bolts/nuts, disc rotor mounting bolts, fender and racks mounts, water bottle cage bolts, and others

M5 is 0.8mm pitch as standard.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nick, thanks. i have noticed that the bolt that had snapped. the thread on it only takes up a small part of the bolt. i.e the remainder of th bolt is smooth, I found a link to what the bolts look like. Do you envisage any issues if I use the bolt as super/ you have suggested.

http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk ... ive+Spares

thanks
  • myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    If you look up the idrive manual, you can get part numbers for all of these components and order up through the UK distributor (not Halfords) but you need to get a bike shop to place the order for you as they only deal with trade. I can't remember the agent, but you can get the details off the GT website.
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    farmer_giles
    Sonic is the GT person.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    nick, thanks. i have noticed that the bolt that had snapped. the thread on it only takes up a small part of the bolt. i.e the remainder of th bolt is smooth, I found a link to what the bolts look like. Do you envisage any issues if I use the bolt as super/ you have suggested.

http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk ... ive+Spares

thanks

Nothing there is the bolt size you quote though, at least not fully threaded. You may need the exact part if parts are smothed off. As the post abpve, if in doubt, try the GT importer. It shouldn't be much.
  • thanks for the advice. i'll quote the part number to one of the bike shops and ask them to give cyclin sports group a call. hopefully all will be sorted. thanks all for your time. cheers
  • 5xcr
    5xcr Posts: 195
    Hi, I have just recently replaced the two dogbone bolts on my i-drive 5.
    the bolts i used were the ones the op linked to . i.e. BETD `s site, call the contact number if you need help, DAN is very helpful or you could e-mail him at BETD, but I`m sure if you have an i - drive 5 these are the bolts.

hope this helps

5xcr :wink:
    12hr days 5 days a week riding to work and back and still the energy to ride 2 other days
  • abductee
    abductee Posts: 189
    I had the same problem. I think one of the bolts was loose and when I tightened it the threaded end snapped off. I got the replacement from BETD website that you linked. The breakage could be caused by the bolt being loose so when you get the replacement check the torque and see if it needs threadlock.
  • thanks for the reply - everyone. I have sent a email to the company above. Havent received a reply as of yet. 11quid for a couple of bolts seems excessive though. Will let you know how I get on. cheers
  • Matt 24k
    Matt 24k Posts: 186
    There are GT idrive Flex Bones and Dog Bones. The Flex Bone, which is fitted to the earlier bikes, is a slim length of flat tempered steel about 1 mm thick which is held by 2 bolts which according to GT must be of the exact length and type as originally supplied.
    The later XCR and other bikes have the Dog Bone which is more like and aluminium dog leg and fits differently.
    Having snapped several Flex Bones and bolts I have found that it is very important to torque them correctly and ensure that they never run while loose. I eventually had to change the BB hanger as the bolt hole had ovalised.
    This GT document is very useful http://tinyurl.com/69s5fv8
    I get all my bits from my local GT stockist and they always have to spend ages trying to get through to GT UK to check the required parts but haven't let me down yet.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The Dog Bone is basically a fix to avoid snapping as I understand it. Especially when you undo the pivots and suspension as classic is to let the frame drop and snap the flexbone. not a problem with the dog bone due to the bend in it.

Someone here also had to replace one of the bolts on an I-Drive 09 (same as mine) and had no choice but to buy the whole i-drive part kit at £160 !!

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12626479
  • almost at my wits end. Ordered bolts for dogbone and the bollts that turned up are completely useless.

They are too short, threaded all the way. the bolts that I have are threaded at the end, the middle is smooth. Its size around inch 1 1/2 in lenghth.

The part that came from betd for 8 quid, was half a inch. BETD have said in their letter that i have to pay upto 7 quid to return them.

Can anyone advise what bolt I have to order for the xcr 5. I am assuming its the same bolt that is fitted to the latest version that halfords are selling.

thanks all, but on a serious note has anyone ever experienced so much trouble trying to get a replacement bolt for their bike.....

thanks
  • supersonic
    You do not have to pay to send parts back, as under the distance selling regulations. Unless they have made you a custom part that you have wrongly specifiied dimensions.

Try:

http://www.cyclingsportsgroup.co.uk/gt/

You need to specify full model name and year.
  • Hi Supersonic,
    Thanks for the link. I had sent them a email over a week ago, and still not received a reply. I have asked a GT dealer to get hold of them for me. I paid Halfords a visit today also, advised that they will be no longer stocking GT bikes in future. Hopefully this will be sorted soon.

I'll also contact BETD to see if they also have the correct part in stock. The link that DeadKenny provided had the elusive bolt, but 160 quid seems a bit extreme.

thanks for your assistance.
    cheers
  • abductee
    abductee Posts: 189
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. It's not funny when the trails beckon and your bike is off the road. I bought 2 bolts (they sell them as a pair) for £10 + 2.50 postage a while back but it looks like they have since gone up in price. I got this:

idrive.jpg

Product: GT i-drive dog bone bolts
    Attributes: Standard i-drive bolts
    Quantity: 1

from here http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk ... ive+Spares

for this bike

GT%20idrive%20xcr%205.jpg

and it worked like a charm

If you have done the same and the bolt doesn't fit then they have sent you the wrong part and need to sort out their mistake but if you only paid £8 then you may have ordered the wrong part as they are £11.88 on the website.
  • whatisthatagain
    whatisthatagain Posts: 4
    edited February 2021
    sadly these bikes now have disposable frames. Thank you corporate America.
    no parts support or cust service. Might as well be a Chinese off brand. I had to fabricate simple "replaceable"breakable parts. It's like disposing of a bike for want of a derailleur hanger. Barrels Nuts can be substituted w 8mm M5 10 and 20mm barrel nuts of indeterminant steel , made for furniture, for those who do not have a machine shop. Flex bone can be found at Vortech in Montana.
    This after a global search.
    A pox upon you GT.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,449
    @whatisthatagain The post you responded to with such feeling is almost ten years old!
    Don't feel too bad, we've all done it (I sure have, more than once until I learned to always check the date).