Clunk (noise and feel) from front V-brake

Applespider
Applespider Posts: 506
edited May 2011 in The workshop
On the way home tonight, a new problem developed that I hope someone can help me with.

When I apply the front V-brake, there's a slight clunk and I can feel a rub/bump through the handlebars every wheel revolution as I brake. The brakes are still working but my bike (Trek 7.3fx) wasn't doing that this morning or when I set out tonight.

As I slow down more, the rub/bump becomes more pronounced and I feel it even more. By the time that I'm crawling along, it almost feels like the bump will push the wheel offline.

I can't see anything obvious on the wheel rim (bumps/lumps) to cause it. When I spin the wheel when the bike is stationery and apply the brake, there's nothing.

Any ideas that I can try before tomorrow's commute? Otherwise it will be a lunchtime trip to the nearest bike shop to work.

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Loose brake mounting screw(s)?
    Loose headset?
    Are you sure that the wheel is true and there is no play in the wheel bearing?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    Thanks for those tips. I checked the headset last night and it seemed fine.

But something I did (probably wiping down the wheels and slowly running them through the brake pads) did something. I was resigned this morning to stopping in at the LBS but nope... got to the first junction, pulled on the brake... silence!