AC injuries......recovery time?

ebt
ebt Posts: 59
So following a stunning failure to fly, I've had the verdict from the NHS's finest. Type 1, AC separation.

Im assuming its something folks have seen before, so just wanted to gather some rough feedback on how long people had to rest before taking up XC riding again.

Comments

• jonnyc2420
    jonnyc2420 Posts: 557
    A bit of cut and paste .......

A Type I AC separation involves trauma to the ligaments that form the joint, but no severe tearing or fracture. It is commonly referred to as a sprain. Most doctors treat this type of injury with anti-inflammatory drugs, pain medication and the placement of the arm in a sling or an immobilizer. 4 - 8 WEEKS

Type 2 -Treatment is typically an arm sling, bedrest, ice and heat therapy, and anti-inflammatory drugs. Most people recover full motion of the shoulder and arm within 6 to 8 weeks, often with the assistance of physical therapy.

having done a 2 on my left, and 3 on my right I can strongly advise not to over do it too early and make full use of any physion advice offered.
    Hope youre feeling better soon. - I found use of a turbo trainer after week 4-5 helped to keep me from getting too rusty....sitting upright, not holding bars! :?
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • ewizzy1977
    ewizzy1977 Posts: 92
    Type 1 you should be back on the bike and feel comfortable in about 4-6 weeks...

I had a type 4 All ligaments torn, I was back on the bike in 6 weeks, but then had to have an operation to replace the ligaments with artificial ones and was off the bike for another 9 weeks after that.

As long as it feels ok then you should be fine with a type 1. Recovery time is subjective though.
  • ewizzy1977
    ewizzy1977 Posts: 92
    Oh, and my left shoulder is now about 1" shorter than my right :lol:
  • ebt
    ebt Posts: 59
    Thanks guys, I'd done the google thing so it was more first hand experience I was after.