Service before a 1000 mile tour...

Mr Plum
Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
edited May 2011 in Tour & expedition
I've got 12 days before I embark on my LEJOG tour and I'm planning on giving my bike the once over next week. I know a few things that I'm going to do in addition to a thorough wash/degrease/regrease - new chain, new brake pads - but is there anything else I should look at? The only other things I could think of were the wheel bearings and bottom bracket, but these are fine.
FCN 2 to 8

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    It's a bit hard without knowing what the current state of the bike is.

Brakes?
    Gears?
    Wheels?
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    Don't worry so much about it. So long as everything is running smoothly, there are no untoward rattles, and nothing is obviously nearing the end of its life, just lube everything that moves up and ride. There are plenty of bike shops along the way.
  • ralex
    ralex Posts: 85
    If you're putting a new chain on you might be wise to put a new cassette on too in case the new chain 'skips' on the current cassette.
    Make sure your tyres have got another 1000 miles of life in them.
    Pedal bearings?
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Maybe a spoke check.for loose or broken ones .Also on such an important trip I would myself get it looked over by the bike shop befoire going.who may spot something else you dont..For me, as I use a folder and a break in a spoke is a big problem.Tightening spokes DIY is dodgy..Best Left to the experts..
    jc
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    jc4lab wrote:
    Tightening spokes DIY is dodgy..Best Left to the experts..

There's only 1 way to learn...
    FCN 2 to 8