cycling through tunnels Swiss Italian border

jdwhite07
jdwhite07 Posts: 5
edited May 2011 in Tour & expedition
Hi im cycling to Rome from Bristol as apart of a charity bike ride in August and need some advice.

Is it possible to cycle through the road tunnels running through the Alps?? we are heading down through Switzerland to Italy. If required i can send a link to the current planned route if it helps.

Also advice on the types of roads that can be cycled on would be great i.e. N or A roads out in France, Italy and Switzerland

thanks in advance

Cheers

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Personally I'd avoid any tunnel - or at least any that are longer than a few hundred metres. A mountain pass would be a better choice.

Rather than posting a link to a Google map (which often don't work) wny not just post details of the route you are planing eg 'via x, y and z' villages/towns.

Bear in mind that in Italy you now have to wear a hi-viz tabard/sam Brown whatsit in tunnels and outside towns after dark - i'd also put on a rear flashing light. Tunnels are horrible enough places as it is - at least make sure drivers know you're there.

My golden rule is avoid anything marked in red and white on a Michelin map. Roads marked in red are also best avoided if you can. In France these are N roads amd in Italy Strada Statale (often marked with am S). Avoid anything with an E in it as well.

BTW the viamichelin.com site has a bike-friendly route search option. This coild well be worth using to test possible routes.
  • woolwich
    woolwich Posts: 298
    If you have the extra time available and are fit, the mountain passes make the most sense.
    Relatively traffic free, awesome views and the most challenging riding in Europe.
    The major problem for the cyclist in long tunnels, apart from safety, is the build up of diesel fumes from the commercial traffic. I found it unpleasant enough on motorcycles without having to rely on my lungs for propulsion.
    Good luck though. Sounds like an incredible trip.
    Mud to Mudguards. The Art of framebuilding.
    http://locksidebikes.co.uk/
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    I agree with everyone else's comments on tunnels. They are horrible places to cycle - generally quite narrow, always dark, full of fumes and the noise as an HGV comes up behind you is terrifying.

But more often than not, where there's a tunnel there is a now little used old road going over the top. This will be quiet with stunning view and a fun descent on the other side - probably the highlight of a ride to Italy which would be a shame to miss.
  • GraemeT
    GraemeT Posts: 155
    Have a look at this link:

http://www.veloland.ch/en/routen_detail ... t=national

This is one of nine national routes in switzerland. They are all well signposted and generally light traffic or no traffic. Some routes have short sections that aren't tarmac, not sure if this is one of them.

Lots of other info on the site. Maps and routebooks are also available from the same organisation.
    Just Keep Pedalling
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Post up your route.

In a nut shell, you'll need to cycle over the Alps at one of the main Swiss passes, I'm guessing maybe Martigny or Simplon, depends on your route. The tunnels are car only AFAIK.

Again, route dependant, there are several small tunnels in Switzerland (notably on the way to the Simplon pass) that have alternative routes for cyclists. We missed those and rode the footpaths with lights on, it was much easier and they were no more than 1/2 mile at a time.

I might sit down at the weekend if I get a few minutes and plot the exact route I took through the Alps on the way to Rome.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Why do people ask a question and then not take any part in the thread that follows?

It makes no sense to me.
  • Propacing
    Propacing Posts: 2
    Depending on your route i can recommend the San Gottard pass. I rode it from the Italian side a few years ago starting the day from lake Maggiore on a trip from Tuscany. A newer road has left the old one traffic free and advoids the tunnels! from this side. From the swiss side i seem to recall also was fairly quiet as most of the heavy traffic tends to be using the Autostrada. If you are good map readers generally the passes in the Swiss/Italian Alps are clear and easy to follow and are not over steep, just long.... Watch out for some pave! in sections. Good luck.
  • PieterM
    PieterM Posts: 167
    I would not recommend descending the old road (Via Tremola) on the south side of St Gotthard on a road bike because most of it is not paved but cobbled.
    European Cycling Trips: http://bikeplustours.com
  • Propacing
    Propacing Posts: 2
    Pave is cobbled you who knows all.