Hybrid- F.B.R. bike

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
Hybrids seem to have a upright ride position, but they offer things such as V brakes and hydraulic brakes (ie Subway 2, Boardman, Kona Dew Deluxe)

Flat Bar Roadbikes have thinner tyres, and usually straight copies of the road bikes except they have slimmer wheels/tyres, caliper brakes, and longer reach.

Are there any somewhere in the middle? Longer reach like flat bar road bike, but with tougher wheels and better brakes?

I tried a Boardman hybrid today, idiot not sure what frame size, but standing up with my feet flat on the ground goolies just touching top tube. I'm 5'8" would this be a large? Reach and leg angle seemed fine once I was on the saddle. Checked the size and medium seems a bit small at 49cm. I owned a Kona Dew Deluxe 52cm and I recall actual size was 47cm, and it was tiny. I even tried a 56cm l Iater and my knees were whacking into the bars. I ride medium Giant OCR 54cm and 54cm steel tourer.
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Boardmans have long lop tubes. You'd be small or medium at most. The Larges are massively long.

The Boardman 2011 builds are impressive IMO and that's what I'd recommend. Also look at Ridgeline and Marin ALP.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Charge Mixer looks good, would prefer Alfine though, and 11 speed would be nice. £1300 thereabouts :cry:
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)