Bipolar...

projectsome
projectsome Posts: 4,478
edited May 2011 in The hub
So, does any of you have it or know someone with it. I'm curious as to what people's view is on it.

I've a friend who has it. Most times I can deal with it, but there's the odd occasion where I can't...
FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!

Comments

• Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    Isnt Bipolar the new name to cover a wide range of depressions?

I know someone who has be dianosed with very mild Bipolar and he does have massive swings in moods, with no actually input from anyone, its like the world has turned on him when nbothing has actually changed.

We just give him a bit of a nudge, and he seems to be fine, but i have heard of people needing beta blockers and stuff to help.......
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    edited May 2011
    I know of a few with bipolar conditions: it ranges enormously, and varies from person to person. There is a lot of unfair stigma attached to it, and is surprisingly common.

I was diagnosed with pheochromocytoma in 2003 severe M.E. in 2007 and am well used to hyper and hypo states associated with them.
  • MissBint37
    MissBint37 Posts: 1,503
    Have a read of this, it explains more about the condition:
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Bipolar-di ... ction.aspx

I think mental conditions of any sort are always misunderstood because the physical symptoms are hard to see, and like Supersonic says there is stigma attached therefore majority of those who suffer/have been diagnosed will endeavour to keep it quiet.
    Ride it like you stole it!
  • Kaise
    i think some of the stigma appears to be that some celebs are "diagnosed" with conditions like bipolar and it just happens to fit their PR machine at the time.

I maybe just being a cynical a*se but Bipolar, as a condition, seems to be banded about a little too often in the media, and therefore giving it a bad name/bad stigma.

I have sympathy with people with such conditions, touch wood i dont ever develop it
  • foxc_uk
    foxc_uk Posts: 1,292
    kaiser83 - too right

Bipolar vs film stars
  • Kaise
    foxc_uk wrote:

+2011's crop of maris pipers, good find that man!
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    depends whether it's bipolar disorder or a condition that is bipolar in nature, one is the new name for manic depression, which is pretty serious stuff, the other is any condition that swings between extremes, so severe mood swings could be described as bipolar.

It certainly seems a trend in hollywood at the moment, which is a shame as it belittles the serious illness that Bipolar Disorder is.

I have a mate who has it, he's ok when he's on his meds.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I know someone who's biploar. Meds and cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) have helped them a lot. A good doctor who can refer you a decent local mental health team make a big difference but can be rare with a long waiting list. Failing that there are some good private clinics (such as the Priory which has a few UK branches) your doctor can refer you too.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • projectsome
    MY friend's mood is somewhat eratic at times. They'll be fine one moment but if something upsets them then they pretty much lose it for the whole day then just switch back to their happy self after a given period.

They do take some tablets but being partial to the odd drink sometimes negates the effect they're supposed to have.
  • Kaise
    partial to the odd drink sometimes negates the effect they're supposed to have.

this is a recipe for bad times ahead! i would keep an friendly watch on them as i have an old friend who went massively down hill in a similar situation. One day he just snapped and that night was hitting a bottle of vodka, which then made him feel worse.

He got back in to biking, of all flavours and after about 6 months he turned a corner and is well on the way to good things

The old friend was me by the way.... :oops:
  • projectsome
    kaiser83 wrote:
    partial to the odd drink sometimes negates the effect they're supposed to have.

this is a recipe for bad times ahead! i would keep an friendly watch on them as i have an old friend who went massively down hill in a similar situation. One day he just snapped and that night was hitting a bottle of vodka, which then made him feel worse.

He got back in to biking, of all flavours and after about 6 months he turned a corner and is well on the way to good things

The old friend was me by the way.... :oops:

This sounds exactly like them. They've recently been evicted for not paying rent and have been staying at another friends house but there moving at the end of the month so this will cause even more problems.

To quote them today "I'm gonna stay at home and cry, and smash things up and drink vodka and starve myself."

I think the problem is that people start to help but don't follow through and it's what they're used to.

They've been on the waiting list to see a psychiatrist for at least 6 months
  • Kaise
    Mine was a bit of a cry for help i think, just my life spiralling away in debt and general Meh.

But i found a distraction, it has two wheels and i loved it before, so getting back into biking gave me the time to think and shizzle. But anyway that was me and i'm all good in the hood of briz

i used these guys as i was under 25
    Off The Record

but i would say that actually speaking to someone out of my circle, someone impartial made the biggest difference [/url]
  • projectsome
    kaiser83 wrote:
    Mine was a bit of a cry for help i think, just my life spiralling away in debt and general Meh.

But i found a distraction, it has two wheels and i loved it before, so getting back into biking gave me the time to think and shizzle. But anyway that was me and i'm all good in the hood of briz

i used these guys as i was under 25
    Off The Record

but i would say that actually speaking to someone out of my circle, someone impartial made the biggest difference [/url]

Cool thanks, will give them the info.
  • Kaise
    no worries mate

if that doesnt work, inform him/her of the joys of limes, string........... :roll:
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    thing is if it's true bipolar disorder there's not a lot that therapy can do, it's an illness like diabetes and like diabetes requires a medication regime to keep it in check.

seeing someone like the organisation in the link definitely cannot hurt though
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6