Should i upgrade or buy new?

Stokie
Stokie Posts: 80
edited May 2011 in MTB beginners
I've got a Klein like the one on ebay,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Klein-Mantra-MTB- ... 51988f1528

but what im wondering is, is it worth getting the bike upgraded to take disc brakes or should i sell it and get a new bike. I love the bike and how it rides but after shopping at the weekend for a bike for the misses i sort of want a new un but i know for sure the misses wont let me have two.

So the question is, is it worth upgrading the Klein or should i sell and get a new bike :?:

Comments

• andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    You would need new forks and hubs and/or wheels on the front. I don't think you could get disks on the back without welding, and again new wheels.hubs.

Estimate: £300 fork, £150 disk brake set, £150 new disk brake ready wheels.

This would cost perhaps a good part of the cost of a new bike.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • andrewjoseph
    Oops, pressed wrong button.

The other thing to consider is whether the frame would cope with disk brakes, the left chain stay might not be strong enough even if you could weld disk brake points on it.
    --
  • Stokie
    but would my bike be much better if i upgraded than what i could get for that money if it was spent on getting a new bike?

Im a total novice so not got any clue to be honest i just dont want to get stung by going into a bike shop and looking clueless, comnig out with a new bike if mine would be equally as good or better by spending that sort of money on it.
  • andrewjoseph
    I don't think it's doable unless there are already brake anchor points on the left chain stay. If there are, then the frame is designed for disk brakes, if not then you will need to get these welded on. I have no idea how much that will cost or even if should be done.

Either stick with the klien if you are happy with it, or get a new bike, i don't believe the Klien can be upgraded in the way you want.
    --
  • andrewjoseph
    and you won't get £700 for the bike if you manage to sell it, unless someone really has too much money to spare. it might be vintage and worth a lot to you, but I think you would be lucky to get £50 for it.
    --
  • Stokie
    cheers for your replies to my questions, looks like i will have to talk the misses around to opening her purse then
  • andrewjoseph
    Is that a euphemism?
    :wink:
    --
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    If your gonna flog it you might be better off using http://www.retrobike.co.uk/
  • Stokie
    :lol: so long as it gets me a new bike then i arnt bothered what it is :lol: