Skindred

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
(My avatar is Skindred's Union Black album cover)

I went to a Skindred gig at the London HMV Forum on Saturday and I'm having some serious withdrawl symptoms.

It was everything I could have hoped for. The only thing that could have made it better is if I was a teenager (again) and had the energy and recovery powers to jump, bounce and mosh indefinately from the intense start to the intense finish.

I actually don't want to be at work today. When I get home I'm going to put on the t-shirt again.

Mosh pits (encouraged by the lead singer), the "crush" at the front, people having feinted carried over the top of the crowd to the barriers, girls stripped to the bra dripping with sweat from the sheer heat of awesomeness. I myself even had to buy a T-shirt as the one I wore was absolutely soaked with sweat due to heat of awesomeness I just mentioned.

This gig had it all.

It even had a Metallica, Rihanna skits (with mosh pits) the original Pass Out (Tinie Tempah) dub and Benji dressed as Flava Flav at one stage. It had everything, it was everything I could hope for. It was fun, the energy of music at its absolute best.

And lets talk about energy for a moment as Skindred have it in abundance, only energy and passion can so perfectly fuse Ska, Drum and Bass, Jungle, Metal, Ragga and Reggae into the musical symphony that Skindred so brilliant dish out. And Benji the lead singer, I've seen him four times now, he has been around for years but he keeps getting better, stronger and better. He owned every inch of that stage and every moment of the night.

I loved every single moment of this gig. Everything, there was even a moment when the lights shone down and cast a tone through the dust, sweat and smoke I swear to you with no word of a lie, it looked like I was standing in a scene from the Smells Like Teen Spirit video.

It was so amazingly awesome I just want to go back to that moment.

Amazing gig, amazing band, an amazing moment in my life.

I feel at peace with myself.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Never heard of them. I'm probably very out of touch as I'm an old man (42). The mention of ska, ragga and reggae attracts me. Drum'n'bass and jungle put me off.

The last new band I listened to was The Penny Black Remedy.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • DonDaddyD
    Just youtube Skindred, first and foremost they're metal with influences from the musical genre's I've listed.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    I agree with Agent 57 about the music, but then I'm of similar vintage. I felt much like Ds did after I saw The Specials at Brixton a couple of years back.
    We had the chance to go and see them again at Hammersmith Odeon, or whatever it's called now, but declined because we didn't want to lose the feeling that we'd been to the best gig in the best venue. I'm grinning like a kid just thinking about it.
    In my 40's I learnt I can still jump around like a twat, I just pant like the old dog that I am between tracks.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Veronese68 wrote:
    In my 40's I learnt I can still jump around like a fool, I just pant like the old dog that I am between tracks.

Heheh, me too. I went to see Madness in Blackpool for my birthday last November. I felt it the next day. :D

As far as gigs go, the one that left the greatest emotional imprint on me was when I saw Prince at Wembley stadium in the early 90s. I was really close to the font, and it was incredible. So much so that I went out the day after and bought all the Prince material I didn't already own.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Not seen a live band that has matched the thrill of my first ever gig; Pixies in Cardiff c.1989. Outstanding.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Gussio wrote:
    Not seen a live band that has matched the thrill of my first ever gig; Pixies in Cardiff c.1989. Outstanding.

To be fair you didn't give many other bands a chance by setting the bar so high.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Best gig for me was The Stooges "Raw Power" Hammersmith last yea, talking about energy that gig had loads of and what a noise it was too! I hope my best gig every is about to be surpassed at the O2 on Thursday when I see Roger Waters performing The Wall.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Are they a popular beat combo?

Would I most likely watch them and them asking if they are in some sort of pain? And do they call "that" dancing/singing these days, etc?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:

Would I most likely watch them and them asking if they are in some sort of pain? And do they call "that" dancing/singing these days, etc?

Before ruffling your cardie and telling them to turn it down, because it's just a noise?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Greg66 wrote:

Before ruffling your cardie and telling them to turn it down, because it's just a noise?
    Correct form is to nod approvingly, slip your hands in your cardie pockets and say 'hey, it's got a good beat' ((c) The Mary Whitehouse Experience, some years ago).

Was it like Perry Como, only more so?
  • veronese68
    My brother in law, a retired Gloucestershire policeman, went to see The Prodigy live. Said he falt that he stood out like the proverbial sore thumb.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    benji is one of the best front men in the business. i havent seen him live for a few years now but when i did it was incredible.

him and the guy out of killswitch engage are two of the best front men ive ever seen.

(neither hold a candle to Tom Arraya though)
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I remember when they where Dub War! in Blackwood workings men club, Benjj (the lead singer) always did have the right personality for it. only met him a few times seemed nice enough.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    spasypaddy wrote:
    benji is one of the best front men in the business. i havent seen him live for a few years now but when i did it was incredible.

him and the guy out of killswitch engage are two of the best front men ive ever seen.

IMO Iggy beats them all. Pure energy on stage and he's still only 64!
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • hmbadger
    hmbadger Posts: 181
    God, your enthusiasm actually made me look them up on youtube. Absolutely shocking, really dreadful. I am pretty old though. :D
  • veronese68
    Just YouTubed Skindred. I liked it. Need to be in the mood for it I suspect. I did find the wearing of a tank top by the shouty man in the first video a little disconcerting though. Good cover of Electric Avenue as well.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Sketchley wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

+1. The greatest front man on the face of the earth.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    StuAff wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

Whilst NOT on the face of this earth anymore, watched a documentary on Live Aid last year, and remembered just how good Freddy mercury's performancewas - just stunning!

Anyone can have energy - charisma and the power to hypnotise an audience like this is something else. Notice how at the end, when he says "all right!" - as if to say - "good job, all done now", LOADS of the audience still repeat him, as they are transfixed.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    :lol: you don't gig much do you... you sound like a dad rediscovering something when taking his kids to a show

oh and Skindred are toilet...FACT.

Glad you enjoyed it though
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I went to a Skindred gig at the London HMV Forum on Saturday and I'm having some serious withdrawl symptoms.

It was everything I could have hoped for. The only thing that could have made it better is if I was a teenager (again) and had the energy to jump girls stripped to the bra dripping with sweat from the sheer heat of awesomeness.

FTFY
  • DonDaddyD
    Clever Pun wrote:
    :lol: you don't gig much do you... you sound like a dad rediscovering something when taking his kids to a show

I've been to:
      Forever Never/Skindred - Southend Karnivool - 02 Islington (Skindred were there) Forever Never - 02 Islington Forever Never - Croydon Skindred - HMV Forum

5 gigs. My metal loving gig going mate loves Forever Never see. I like them too! They're awesome.
    Food Chain number = 4

• jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717

Maybe 40 years ago.
    I reckon Howlin' Pelle Almqvist is hard to beat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vultqbl9 ... re=related
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

I've been to:
      Forever Never/Skindred - Southend Karnivool - 02 Islington (Skindred were there) Forever Never - 02 Islington Forever Never - Croydon Skindred - HMV Forum

5 gigs. My metal loving gig going mate loves Forever Never see. I like them too! They're awesome.

this year? month? week? tour?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

I've been to:

Five? Ever?.......
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011