Bad parts, set up, or just the current MTB experience?

phildaw
phildaw Posts: 49
edited May 2011 in MTB general
I love my bikes dearly, had BMX's back in the late 80's/early 90's (GT Performer), MTB in the 90's (Gary Fisher with flexstem and canti brakes)... gave up for a few years whilst we moved house, had kids etc.. but I am now firmly back in the saddle..

I prefer hardtails, so boughtly a Ragley Mmmbop.... with Rockshox Revelation u-turn Air forks, Haynes stroker brakes, XT drive chain etc... so pretty well spec'd..

But....

I find I always ride with the fork on lock out regardless of the terrain, prefer the control and lack of bob.. and now rather than run at 130mm when set on max they seem to sag to 120mm without any real punishment... so I am now thinking they need some kind of service, I had a similiar issue on some Rebas.

The brakes I find wooden and lack any sensitivity.

The gears I cannot fault, much better than the old top mounted thumb shifters.

So...

Is this just the way modern MTB's are? Are the brakes just so efficient they have no give in the system, so no feel... are air forks sensitive and need regular TLC? Should they not be used on lock-out all the time?

I am wondering whether to invest in new front forks, better brakes (I have heard Haynes are a bit poor) but I am wondering if I will gain anything?

Or do I just need to man up and accept my bike for what it is... get it serviced and ride the hell out if it..

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    fork sounds like poor set up. set your sag and play with the neg pressure to get the feel that you want. yes it should not be locked out all the time.

brakes well they are Hayes what do you expect.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    I'm thinking of going back to ridged forks..... maybe
  • nc1584
    nc1584 Posts: 14
    and now rather than run at 130mm when set on max they seem to sag to 120mm without any real punishment

I assume you mean that when you're sitting still they have around 10mm of sag on the forks, rather than they drop by 120mm and you have 10mm of travel?

If it's a new bike then it'll take time to settle down, Hayes strokers are pretty good brakes and once bedded in will give more feedback, as will the fork.

Having just come back into riding after a 10 year lay off, it has advanced a lot, however it is all positive. I now have Fox Talas air forks, where previously they were coil Judy XCs, and I much prefer the former than latter owing to the weight saving, adjustability and increased sensativity.

Different people will like to run their bikes in ways, i.e. hard forks, full-suss etc, and it's all about finding what's best for you.
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper Elite
    2010 Whyte 905 (stolen)

2010 was an expensive year!
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    Experiment with the fork setup, I ride an mmmBop too with Pikes and find it rides best at max travel (140mm with 40mm of sag).

Some hydraulic brakes can feel wooden and there's squat all you can do about it, I've recently put Shimano Deore 595s on the Ragely having always been an Avid Juicy fan and the difference in feel is amazing!
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    phildaw wrote:
    Is this just the way modern MTB's are? Are the brakes just so efficient they have no give in the system, so no feel... are air forks sensitive and need regular TLC? Should they not be used on lock-out all the time?
    Some of them are like this and it can take a lot time/money/effort to get things how you want to, esp you have earlier experience with MTBs.

My mate rides around with the lock-out on most of the time, even down hills. He is a big bloke and despite throwing £100s at some forks they are still more active than he prefers and the simple answer is to put the lock-out on. Personal preference is often overlooked by component manufacturers who believe that they know what's best for us.

You might be able to get your forks working how you want but don't get hung up on sag. What you are looking for is to use most or all of the available travel once or twice on your local loop.

Brakes? Well again just have a look round bikeradar everybody has there own opinion on what's hot and what's not.

Gears are better though :)
  • phildaw
    Thanks all.

The forks sag 10mm.. so run locked out at 120mm. Maybe a service will put them right. I did pick them up second hand. Will see if I can get them to run firmly, without being on lockout.

I will look into a new set of brakes, will do a bit of research. I guess my Haynes might be doing hydraulic brakes a dis-service!

CycloRos, I am not too far from Notts, whereabouts do you ride? I have only stuck to my local woods so far (Hopwas, Tamworth).
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The fork is still designed to move a little when locked out. Do you have the manual?
  • phildaw
    I don't supersonic, will see if I can download it.. might help me manage them a bit better
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    phildaw wrote:
    ...CycloRos, I am not too far from Notts, whereabouts do you ride? I have only stuck to my local woods so far (Hopwas, Tamworth).

It varies a lot (see the pics link in my sig) but locally I switch between the Sherwood Pines area, the Peak District and Cannock Chase.
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • phildaw
    Cheers CycloRos.. some great pics there
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    I think that you bought the wrong frame. something like an xc hardtail would be more up your street.
  • phildaw
    I think that you bought the wrong frame. something like an xc hardtail would be more up your street.

How would that be different to the Mmmbop?

The smaller front shock travel?

I am quite an agressive rider, love my jumps and drops... so thought the Mmmbop would be ideal for that.