It put my climbing into a different perspective

brin
brin Posts: 1,122
edited May 2011 in The bottom bracket
Went out yesterday to do a longish 75m run which included lots of hills as part of my training for up and coming sportives.
Decided to hit Weardale/Northumberland as i have climbed a few of the hills there, but not in one go.
The first climb i attempted, and it was a first for me too, was Crawleyside which lies North of Stanhope, for those who don't know (No 59 in Simon Warrens ' greatest cycling climbs')
I approached it with a bit trepidation, but found the going not as bad as anticipated,and was also amazed at the number of cyclists who were also pounding their way up - mtb's and roadies- must say i was surprised how 'easy' i found it, fairly skipped up the 20% slopes through the village and headed out onto the long straight, i passed loads of the other cyclists, who seemed to be either struggling or just ambling their way up. After passing the farmhouse i approached a cyclist who had his bike laden with 4 panniers - 2 at front 2 at rear, and i'm sure he was donning a back pack too, i thought to myself "bloody hell he's got some weight there" as i caught up to him i acknowledged him with a "morning" when he looked up at me i saw he must have easily been in his mid 60's - made my effort seem all so irrelevant.

Comments

• Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    brin wrote:
    Went out yesterday to do a longish 75m run
    Aren't all 75 mile rides the same length?

Sorry, it's Monday and pedantry is all I'm good for today... :wink:
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Nuggs wrote:
    brin wrote:

I was sat here thinking '75 metres isn't too long, surely'

Sorry, it's Monday and pedantry is all I'm good for today... :wink::lol:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    reminds me of when I saw a hand cyclist going up box hill.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I overtook a girl of about 10 on a unicycle going up a short but steep hill this morning. Just to clarify for the pedants, the girl was on the unicycle, I was on a regular road bike.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I thought I was caning my friends up the col de Peyresourde, only to be properly passed by a teenager on a BMX who was going at some speed.
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    One of my most vivid cycling memories was riding the last 3 or 4 bends of the Alpe d'Huez with my then 13 year old son on a normal mountain bike. We'd descended from the top and were just doing the last few bends. With his low gears and being fresh, my lad was making good progress and fairly easily overtook a labouring roadie who had clearly been grinding away from the very bottom. The roadie took one look at my lad as he was passed, and promptly fell off his bike. The final straw.
  • topcattim
    Term1te wrote:
    I overtook a girl of about 10 on a unicycle going up a short but steep hill this morning. Just to clarify for the pedants, the girl was on the unicycle, I was on a regular road bike.
    Glad to see you've moved on from being overtaken by butterflies :wink:
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    topcattim:>>>> Reminds me of going up Tourmalet last year, very hot day --30c +--, real struggle; there was a lad 16-18 on superbike with accompanying woman in BMW offering water to him every 2-3 miles; despite my requests for some water she ignored me; `sadly` very glad to see the young budding TdeF lad packed at La Mongie, wobbling all over road :) whilst I on my steady pace plodded on to top !
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    topcattim wrote:
    Term1te wrote:
    Glad to see you've moved on from being overtaken by butterflies :wink:

Look, it was a very hot day on the Col du Pré, and the butterfly was on steroids.
  • topcattim
    JamesB wrote:
    topcattim:>>>> Reminds me of going up Tourmalet last year, very hot day --30c +--, real struggle; there was a lad 16-18 on superbike with accompanying woman in BMW offering water to him every 2-3 miles; despite my requests for some water she ignored me; `sadly` very glad to see the young budding TdeF lad packed at La Mongie, wobbling all over road :) whilst I on my steady pace plodded on to top !
    Yup, there's nothing quite like the pleasure of being the plodder that overtakes the "speedy in bursts".
  • redrobbo
    redrobbo Posts: 727
    Nuggs wrote:
    brin wrote:

Well obviously a 75 mile run is longer than a 75 metre one.