Chain cleaner

ThePriory1978
ThePriory1978 Posts: 563
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Not the liquid solution, the plastic thing-a-me-jig with all the brushes.

Are there specific types for specific chains?
Will anyone do the job or are some better than others?
Do they damage chains?
Do they work all that good or will a toothbrush work just as well?

Mucho thanks.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x

Comments

• blablablacksheep
    blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
    i have a park tool chain cleaner and heres what i have found

1: It 100x quicker than doing it DIY by hand, toothbrush is good for getting into tricky places but doing a chain it going to send you into a looney house :wink:

2:The park tool one is very simple to use and i am very happy and dont regret getting a chaincleaner as it not only quicker it DOES clean the chain better than by hand, no dout.

3:make sure you buy a semi decent degreaser, the citrus stuff with parks is very good, maybe the best i have used, but very exspencive, so i suggest you dilute it down about 3 water to 1 degreaser, as that will save you money in long run.

4: the brushes are good as i said above but after id say about 3-4 months they do tend to wear out and annoyingly get stuck between the chain, so you have to pick them out by hand, is a pain but i cant be asked to buy a replacement set just yet :roll:

All in all id give the park tool+citrus cleaner about 4/5 would be 5 if the brushes lasted longer and didnt brake off like a cheap B&Qs paint brush :wink:
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    I have the Muc Off one. I find that it gets the mud and dust off the chain, but it leaves it covered in black liquid that drips everywhere. You then cant put new lube on until you have dried this all off. It does the job, but not as well as soaking the chain in a bucket of degreaser overnight.
  • blablablacksheep
    blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
    forgot to add allways wash off degreaser from chain, even if it claims it can be left to dry off as it takes forever.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    Anyone tried filling them with paraffin or brush cleaner or something?
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    From my experience those chain baths make the chain look clean but they still leave a fair amount of muck under the rollers.

Now I just take the chain off & shake it in a bottle with degreaser (I use fenwicks but paraffin works also). Then rinse, dry & put it back on with a power link.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    From my experience those chain baths make the chain look clean but they still leave a fair amount of muck under the rollers.

Now I just take the chain off & shake it in a bottle with degreaser (I use fenwicks but paraffin works also). Then rinse, dry & put it back on with a power link.

this.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    cee wrote:

this.

This, but I use White Spirit.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    Park tool one works well enough for me.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • SpiCan
    SpiCan Posts: 31
    + 1 for white spirit

Diesel fuel is good as it has a lubricant for the pumps and injectors used in engines.

But normaly I have white spirit around so.

Dry it with a kitchen paper roll. :wink:

I have a "Barbieri" chain cleaner, cheap and cheerfull.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=33179

Time VXS, Spi Roubaix Elite, Cannondale Caffeine F2,
    S Works Stumpjumper fsr, Dahon folding.
  • Fudgie
    Fudgie Posts: 68
    PaulBox wrote:
    cee wrote:

this.

This, but I use White Spirit.
    This
    Canyon Nerve XC 8.0 2011
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    I have the Park Tools one but I hardly use it anymore. The degreaser destroys the brushes after a while. I then bought another one which I'm still to use.

I now have a split link and once a week I remove the chain, put in a container with white spirit ( can be re-use several times) while I clean the cassette and other bits. I then dry the chain with some old rag before re-fitting - so far this is the best way I found to properly clean the chain.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I know this is contraversial, but KMC say:
    NEVER EVER use a so-called'chain washing machine' in combination with solvent. This is the one
    and only sure way to instantly ruin your chain.
    - Avoid the use of solvents, not only are these bad for the environment, they remove lubricant from the
    chain's bearing.
    http://www.kmcchain.com/index.php?ln=en&fn=service#2
  • skellator3
    skellator3 Posts: 200
    old milk one pint carton half filled with white spirit (about £4.49 for 4 litres from wickes) pop chain in give it a good shake take it out with an old spoke dry off most off excess with kitchen roll leave to dry off completely on a radiator or just leave in sun.
    put it back on bike join with a quick link re lube with lube of choice( only drop on each roller) wipe off excess
    and bobs your uncle.

you can use the spirit over and over
    cheap and cheerfull but it works
    dont only ride a bike
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    After cleaning in white spirit, I let the chain dry naturally by just hanging it from a hook in the garage, if you use a rag or paper towel you won't get it fully dry.

Then I let the chain soak in a bowl/tub of Castrol GTX for a few days to get fully lubricated, let it hang again for a couple of days (over the bowl) to drain. Give it a wipe over to remove the excess and refit on to the bike.

Rotate two chains once per month (more frequently if chain particularly dirty) and you will be good for years. The chains run like they are new.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets