Getting Stung

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
Warm morning for the Highlands (12C) and strong headwind (from SE - might explain warm morning). Insects were pinging off my helmet like bullets until the inevitable happened and something with a sting caught in the rim of my shades just above my eyebrow and stung me.

Any tips for minimising the risk?
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• JST
    JST Posts: 158
    Wear a beekeepers suit?

I always ride with my mouth partly open and often get flies in there, they normally go right to the back so have to be swallowed. Dreading the day when a wasp flies in :?
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    I had a wasp (or possibly a bee) get stuck between my gum and lip. It stung me a couple of times before I pulled / spat it out in several pieces. My face swelled up so much that when I got home my wife thought I'd got into a fight with a driver.
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    JST wrote:
    Wear a beekeepers suit?

I always ride with my mouth partly open and often get flies in there, they normally go right to the back so have to be swallowed. Dreading the day when a wasp flies in :?

Wouldn't a fencing mask be better - could double up as a helmet :D
    Any tips for minimising the risk?

I don't think there is much you can do except hope for the best and have some anti-sting type lotion in your bag.
    Steve C
  • d87heaven
    d87heaven Posts: 348
    If you want to avoid getting stung around the helmet / eye area.........

........do your flies up before you set off!!

Seriously though, I have started taking a insect bite stick with after I was stung by a wasp and my face ballooned up, I was in agony and even more ugly than usual.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • Frontbum
    Frontbum Posts: 100
    I had a downhill wasp experience.
    Landed in the soft bit right at the back and needed a fair bit of time to get a purchase on it so I could spit it out. As it flew out I got a flash of yellow and thought how lucky I was to have not been stung. Then the cramp like pain started....Gnerk!
    Surprisingly I had no visible swelling although the cramp sensations took a few hours to go.
    I now ride with a rolled up sock stuffed in my mouth during the summer (and down the shorts during winter). Haven't been stung in the mouth since!
    how do you spel spelchek?
  • meanredspider
    That's fine - thanks for this - I'll just MTFU - today seemed particularly insect infested. Fortunately we don't get too many midges this side of the Highlands so I don't need the Avon "Skin So soft" (at least not for the midges)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    JST wrote:
    I always ride with my mouth partly open and often get flies in there, they normally go right to the back so have to be swallowed.
    +1
    I call it an in-flight meal.
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    El Gordo wrote:
    I had a wasp (or possibly a bee) get stuck between my gum and lip.

Deffo a Wasp, as Bees can only stink once :)
  • meanredspider
    Twostage wrote:
    JST wrote:
    I always ride with my mouth partly open and often get flies in there, they normally go right to the back so have to be swallowed.
    +1

I swallowed one once. If that wasn't bad enough, my partner pointed out that the last place it had been was probably a dog turd..... :shock:
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    cloggsy wrote:
    El Gordo wrote:

Good point. Maybe it was two bees? :D It took quite a bit of spitting and scraping around with my finger before all the bits were out.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Never been stung by a wasp or bee while cycling, but have been by a few LBSs. Once bitten twice shy.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    I am a beekeeper and a cyclist. In fact, there are quite a few cyclists who are into beekeeping. (I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere).
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    I have always wanted to keep bees but have no idea how to start.
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    cloggsy wrote:
    El Gordo wrote:

The Honey Bee can only sting you once. I thnk.

The Bumble Bee can sting you more. :wink:
  • bakerstreet
    bakerstreet Posts: 108
    El Gordo wrote:
    I had a wasp (or possibly a bee) get stuck between my gum and lip. It stung me a couple of times before I pulled / spat it out in several pieces. My face swelled up so much that when I got home my wife thought I'd got into a fight with a driver.

That sounds like my worst nightmare. I hate insects :cry:
    2010 Giant Defy 2 running SRAM Force and Shimano RS80/C24s with Continental 4 Seasons
    1999 Carrera Integer MTB
    2014 Planet X SLX
  • JST
    JST Posts: 158
    Twostage wrote:
    JST wrote:
    +1

I swallowed one once. If that wasn't bad enough, my partner pointed out that the last place it had been was probably a dog turd..... :shock:

Good for the immune system :P
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Got a wasp caught in my helmet this morning (no mesh on the Boardmans, rest of the design is good)....hurried moment while I did an Estop and got the helmet off to release it (OK only knew it was a buzzing thing that sounded and felt well P'd off at that stage!)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Ew, I ate a few bugs last week. Picked up a horsefly bite last year. The idea of a wasp under my glasses is the stuff of nightmares.

Those No Fear goggles look like just the thing...
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • jam5ie76
    jam5ie76 Posts: 108
    I had something angry ping into my eye the other day. The shock caused me to grind the curb and get thrown into the verge. Thankfully I wasnt going that fast and there was no traffic, hopefully i'll be more composed next time :)
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I notice that an increasing number of MTB helmets have insect mesh in the vents. It's a 'must have' when I replace the current lid.

A mile or so of the local canal tow-path is a real magnet for flies at the moment; you can see them like a cloud as you cycle towards them. Cycling goggles are usually sufficient to stop them going in your eyes (even though a few come round the edges) but I am thinking of getting a face-mask purely to be able to breathe and pedal at the same time!

nb I usually reckon on being stung at least once every summer.

Bob