Save or BIn??

NWLondoner
NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
edited May 2011 in The bottom bracket
I had a great 96km ride into the Herts/Beds countryside on Saturday upto Whitwell, even the rain didn't spoil it.

The puncture at the 38km mark at Ayot St Peter did slightly ruin the day.

This is the aftermath of my tyre.

5702413265_68e86e4d83_z.jpg

I am thinking that this tyre is beyond safe repair/reusable. Would a superglue fix be okay or just forget it??

These are Schwalbe Ultremo DD and my only saving grace is that i did not switch to my Vittoria Open Corsas the night before :shock:

Comments

• rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Me personallly, I'd bin....unless you find a small circuit really close to home and do a few miles on it to see if it'll last?
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    It's on the rolling area of the tyre, so I'd say bin it.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    I'd say patch it. It's difficult to get an idea of scale from the pic, but if it's quite big I'd be more concerned with the tyre than a patch on the tube
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    Bin it, not worth the risk of another blow out - and also will always be on your mind when you are out
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    LOL

I can't bloody win.

My Vittoria Pave got ruined because of a large slit through the sidewall so I went with these instead. 1 ride in bad conditions and ruined :x

Oh well at least my puncture repair has held, which is a first for me :D 140psi and NO explosions yet!!!

Think i will bin for Piece of mind. Open Corsa's and Latex Tubes it is :roll:
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    brin wrote:
    Bin it, not worth the risk of another blow out - and also will always be on your mind when you are out
    There's no risk of a blowout if it's repaired correctly. Mind you ...140psi??? :shock:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • surreychris
    surreychris Posts: 51
    My Schwalbes did exactly the same, two rides and two tyres in the bin. I shan't be buying anymore!
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Bin it mi duck, I would.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    +1 bin
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    My Schwalbes did exactly the same, two rides and two tyres in the bin. I shan't be buying anymore!
    you be better off binning the glass you rode over :wink:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    It's on the rolling area of the tyre, so I'd say bin it.

Surely being on the rolling area reduces the risk? Certainly there is no problem repairing punctured car tyres on the rolling area but forget it if the damage is on the sidewall.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Will.C
    Will.C Posts: 245
    NWLondoner wrote:
    LOL

I can't bloody win.

My Vittoria Pave got ruined because of a large slit through the sidewall so I went with these instead. 1 ride in bad conditions and ruined :x

Oh well at least my puncture repair has held, which is a first for me :D 140psi and NO explosions yet!!!

Think i will bin for Piece of mind. Open Corsa's and Latex Tubes it is :roll:

Let us know how you get on with these, mate? I too have a pair of open corsas and latex tubes sitting at home on my shelf but i'm yet to take the plunge and put em on. All this good weather has to end sometime, doesn't it?