Carrying lunch

forcutty
forcutty Posts: 1,055
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
I currently cycle 18 miles to and thro from work.
However as of yet I've not really carried lunch as I've either carried it in the day before, when in the car, or I've bought it.
So what do you carry to work in your Jersey pockets.
I'm thinking of:
=Dry Cous Cous
=Banana
=Oat Bar
But what else is small enough yet still filling enough to get me through a day at work and sustain me on the way home?
I hate backpacks etc so they're a no go :wink:

Comments

• Can't think of anything that I could fit in a jersey that I'd particularly want to eat. Isn't there anywhere nearby you can buy lunch? When I'm in the wilds I might make up some pasta in a tuperware container, but would you want to risk that in a jersey pocket?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'd die pretty quickly if my daily allowance was the contents of my jersey pockets :lol:

Sort yourself out with a Carradice system, am tempted to move from panniers to one myself:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/carradice/

The extra weight will make you stronger.
  • Simple solution: pack up a carrier bag and hang it from your handlebar :lol:
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    why not backpacks? I carry my lunch everyday in mine along with a shirt/vest/computer (occasional)/repair kit/tubes oh left one out - multi tool. not sure the weight but I am comfortable with it.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    If you're intending to carry bananas make sure they're well underripe. I managed to squidge one into my lower back last year as I rode. It was not nice.

BTW, my pockets are usually full of gloves, puncture kit, various spares and my ipod. None of which make either a nutritional or tasty meal.

I did find some dog treats in my waterproof at the weekend though......

Bob
  • beverick
    If you're intending to carry bananas make sure they're well underripe. I managed to squidge one into my lower back last year as I rode. It was not nice.

BTW, my pockets are usually full of gloves, puncture kit, various spares and my ipod. None of which make either a nutritional or tasty meal.

Bob
  • beverick

Bob
  • beverick

Bob
  • beverick

Bob
  • beverick

Bob
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    How do you feel about "BumBags"?

A company called Think Tank cater for the photographic comunity particulally those out and about in the rough and tumble, as It were. I would'nt use anything else.
    Heres a review of their "Speed Demon" I've used this on a dayly basis for a couple of years now and it's pretty much bomb proof.
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/think-t ... -demon.htm

All the iner padded compartments can be removed.
    Not cheap though, about £75.00 but you'll never need to buy another.
    Graham.
  • forcutty
    Thanks for the posts.
    I do buy lunch down at the asda but at £3 for the meal deal but it gets boring and it's eating away at the bike allowance fund :wink:
    I really don't want a bag because it get hot and makes me sweet more etc.
    Yes bananas are underipe :wink:
    I carry all my spares/kit in a large saddle bag and don't want much extra baggage.
    Hence why the jersey pockets as there usually empty saved for lunch food.
    Bean buying those mug shots at 5 for £2 and been using them instead of pasta pots etc.
    just wondered if anyone on here did similar and had some better ideas
    :cry:
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    Most jersey pockets are pretty big. Find a couple of tupperwares that you can stuff in and you can fill them with pasta / salads / sarnies, sushi food etc. Depending on their size.
  • d87heaven
    d87heaven Posts: 348
    Why not cycle with a he-man packlunch box hooked on your brake lever, worked for me (but it was over 20 years ago on grifter)
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Sandwhich box in pannier along with work clothes, tools + inner tubes etc etc

Job done :D
    FCN 3/5/9
  • fatherted
    fatherted Posts: 199
    forcutty wrote:
    So what do you carry to work in your Jersey pockets.
    :
    Windproof and overshoes in one jersey pocket.

Wallet , smartphone in the second.

Workphone, keys and pager in the last

I buy food for the week on monday from a supermarket near work and make my own lunches.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Triple pannier on rack, on the left is my tools (pump, powerlink, multi-tool spare tube and some scabs) on the right my lunch (sandwishes, 3 yoghurts, 3 pieces of fruit and 2 snacks at least one of which is of the vaguely healthy variety) and my laptop bag across the top (slimline envelope style), put togther they weigh about 1/2 what the rest of the bike weighs!)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I put a couple of scotch eggs and a sausage roll down the front of my shorts.....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • SimonLyons
    SimonLyons Posts: 203
    Have you got anywhere you can store food at work? There is a fridge/kitchen at our work which is very handy + lockable cupboards.
    Seeing as you are going to Asda anyway for the meal deal, instead buy stuff for the week on Monday and make your own sandwiches at lunchtime.

--thats what I do.
  • forcutty
    SimonLyons wrote:
    Have you got anywhere you can store food at work? There is a fridge/kitchen at our work which is very handy + lockable cupboards.
    Seeing as you are going to Asda anyway for the meal deal, instead buy stuff for the week on Monday and make your own sandwiches at lunchtime.

--thats what I do.
    Used too but nightshift eat it :x
    They don't like marmite though :lol:
    So i could make some cheese and marmite sarnies to keep in the fridge.Anything else would walk :roll:
    Have been speaking too my chargehand and he will have a chat to management about lockers. His food got eaten last night :lol:
    If i get one i'll buy a box of cereal bars and some tinned soup etc. too keep in there.
    This hopefully will sort out the lunch problem :P
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I'm getting sick of the sweaty back (2l snide Camel back + tools/tube + lunch, Typically a sarnie, bananna and apple). I'm thinking a seatpost rack/bag is the way to go.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • SimonLyons
    SimonLyons Posts: 203
    Have been speaking too my chargehand and he will have a chat to management about lockers. His food got eaten last night
    Thats what you need - someone with a bit of power who is being affected.

I think for 5 lunches a week - minimum spend
    loaf of bread 1-00(MandS or Aldi), houmus 1-00( Tesco), jar of beetroot blue label(Tesco) 25p
    extras, fruit etc...(~£1)
    approx 3-25 a week
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    I had the same problem, now I use one of these, fantastic bag

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/alt ... k-ec028040
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    @pep: Looks very useful. Thanks.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.