Planet X Nanolight HiMod (now with added carbon)

jamesfifield
jamesfifield Posts: 147
edited April 2012 in Your road bikes
5700858526_9e6a41dc90.jpg

6945888474_2b0baf9646_b.jpg

6014483752_f6c2390311_z.jpg

Frameset: Planet X Nanolight HiMod X-L
Bars: 3TTT Curva 2x2 Palm Carbon Road
Stem: Planet X CNC 70mm
Headset: Planet X
Bar Tape: Specialized S-Wrap

Front Brake Lever: SRAM Red
Front Caliper: Planet X Ultra Light CNC
Rear Brake Lever: SRAM Red
Rear Caliper: Planet X Ultra Light CNC

Shifters: SRAM Red
Front Mech: SRAM Red
Rear Mech: SRAM Red

Seat: Fi'zi:k Arione CX
Seat Post: FSA KForce Lite Carbon
Seat Post Clamp: Planet X Seatclamp For Nanolight Frame

Cranks: FSA SLK w/ Quarq Cinqo
Chainring(s): FSA SLK
Chain: SRAM PC1050
Cassette: SRAM Rival 1070 Powerglide
Pedals: Look Keo Sprint
Bottom Bracket: FSA MegaExo

Front Wheel: Shimano Dura Ace 7850
Tube: Nutrak
Tire: Continental Grand Prix 22mm

Rear Wheel: Shimano Dura Ace 7850
Tube: Nutrak
Tire: Continental Grand Prix 24mm

Front Wheel: Planet X 82
Tub: Vittoria Triathlon Evo II Tubular Tyre - 22mm

Rear Wheel: Planet X 101
Tub: Vittoria Triathlon Evo II Tubular Tyre - 22mm

Accessories: Garmin Edge 500 w/ HRM and Speed/Cadence
BTP.de universal bottle cages

The stem is incredibly short but it seemed the only way of reconciling a 35 inch inner leg to my tyrannosaurusly-short arms!

I absolutely love it, though I am now wondering whether perhaps it be better in Large or even Medium... Any opinions?

Edited to add bottle cage details, and new picture with carbon wheels
Edited for new picture post-Tour of the Battenkill:
Wheelset: Bontrager XXXlite Tubular
Tyres: Challenge Strada Tubular Tyre - 24mm
Bottle Cages: Tacx Tao Aluminium

Comments

• cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    How sad am I, that's probably the nicest backdrop of all. Bike is lovely too!
  • jamesfifield
    Christ Church, Oxford. The architecture is truly stunning in the summer. Unfortunately it does come with it's shortcomings: I have my Finals in PPE in 3 weeks... time on the bike is getting less and less :(
  • gmb
    gmb Posts: 456
    Lovely bike. I really wasn't keen on the new PX logo at first but I think the new Nanolights look stunning in black.

Maybe you could have gotten away with a large and had a longer stem. There is still quite a bit of seatpost showing now though. Is this your final set up?
    Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
    http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg
  • jamesfifield
    Thanks very much, yours is very pretty too.
    Yep, this is as fitted by Spencer at Personal Bike Fit in London. I originally had a 100mm stem but the reach was way too long.
  • gmb
    The more I look at these bikes the more I want one! Wish I could afford it/justify it.....

Enjoy!

• jamesfifield
    You wouldn't be interested in an XL Frameset would you?

I think I will probably sell mine... and get a Large instead as it quite flighty with such a short stem :oops:
  • gmb
    You wouldn't be interested in an XL Frameset would you?

I think I will probably sell mine... and get a Large instead as it quite flighty with such a short stem :oops:

Sorry - it would be a medium for me!

• Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    Cracking bikes, aint they, got to say, I love mine!
  • jamesfifield
    Love mine to bits, but unfortunately it is just too big. Looks like it was made for a greater man than I :oops:
    Currently looking a 56cm fm039 from Hong Fu...
    If anyone is interested in the frameset please let me know!
  • saintdracula
    saintdracula Posts: 232
    Yours was actually the first (and only) PX nanolight I ever saw...I could tell there was something about it. It looks stunning in the flesh - really good proportions; I think it's the way those seatstays are slightly lower down than usual.

Photos don't do it justice: don't be fooled by the brand! In my opinion it's nicer looking than a Roubaix.
  • jamesfifield
    It is a very pretty thing. There is quite a lot of subtle tube shapes going on that the website doesn't do justice to: I particularly like the crease in the top tube that runs down the side of the head tube as well.
  • Before my new frame arrives I though I would add a picture with the new tape, tubs, and wheels that I put on this morning. It just about looks in proportion now!
  • i don't think your wheels are deep enough :shock: lol
  • Yeah, I'm doing an Ironman mid September so every little helps!
    I have the tri bars too but thought they would be out of place on a road bike forum :wink:
  • good luck with that! hope it goes well

noooooo, i swear we don't see enough TT bike variants on here..shame really, cus they look awesome!
  • Arghyrou
    Arghyrou Posts: 155
    Definitely not deep enough :O
  • wow, epic bike :D how deep are those rims!!
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Rim depths are 82mm and 101mm... Think you should go for a 101 on the front too :)

The bike is looking sweet with the new tape, wheels and cleaned hudz!
  • As Ben said: 82 front, 101 rear. Saw the offer on Planet X and decided to go for it, with a bit of a chivvy from my riding partners. Took them out for the first outing yesterday and they are FAST. Lovely to ride, though managed to puncture the front so waiting for my latex and propellant to arrive to seal it up again.
  • Edited to add new photo from after the Tour of the Battenkill. The bike was faultless on tarmac or dirt: it soaked it all up and really helped.
    I've definitely noticed that it can get slightly bendy in a spring though: 83kg and 1600W have the rear end struggling to track true.
    Nevertheless, in terms of value it is hard to find fault. Nobody this side of the Atlantic can believe how cheap the frameset was!
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Pic 3 is stunning - so freakin' cool.

Excellent work that man, utterly cool.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    really like the tanwall tyres look in pic 2.

did you sell the frameset?
  • @Yossie: glad you like the wheels. I'm really looking forward to bringing them back to the US with me come May.

@Clarkey Cat: Yeah, me too. I think they look great. They're also great tyres: Challenge Strada tubulars. Highly recommended.
    I actually couldn't sort out selling the frameset before I moved to the US in early October so I've been using it as my training and race bike while I move up through the categories. It is quite fun having chaps on S-Works Venges and other pieces of exotica ask me where I got my frameset from (admittedly I think they are probably from the "all the gear, no idea" camp)!
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Just a quick one - how do you find the wheels for riding with? I'm seriously contemplating buying a pair of 82/82s from Planet X to use instead of the P/X 50s I have currently but I don't know if they would be over kill - do you have any problems re sidewinds or similar?

The 50s are nice and stiff, so I presume that's all ok as well? Not too heavy?

Any comments more than welcome before I empty the secret piggybank again!

Thankyou very much!

Y