Newbie - back tyre sliding - why?

cuckoo
cuckoo Posts: 4
edited May 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi everyone,
Just getting into it and loving it so far.

I got loads of questions which I hope the more experienced will be able to help me with but my first one is regarding the back tyre sliding out. It happens on rocky surfaces and generally 'rough' surfaces. Its hard to put into words but its the back tyre all of a sudden sliding to the left or right when riding over these surfaces - is it me? do differing tyres help? is it normal? etc

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tyre loses grip and slides. Rocks and roots are more slippery than smooth dirt.
    Tyres, style, skill, talent and practice all help.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    ps it's more scary when the front lets go.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cuckoo
    thanks - right ok - nothing to do to minimize it tho - just practice? I was hoping it would be something I could fix lol
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Lower your tyre pressure slightly or shift you weight backwards. These both provide extra grip.
  • cooldad
    Plenty of ways to minimise it, just nothing magical. Tyres would be the first step. The rest comes in time (unless you crash hard and die of course).
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cuckoo
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    What tyres are you running & at what pressure?
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Don't knock it... if I could figure out how to slide my back tyre to effect nifty trail turns without crashing then I would be doing it. Might have to try a road tyre on the back - my son's Islabike came with spare 1.9 slicks which will fit my Anthem :shock:
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Skidding on trails helps to ruin them. If you are crashing on turns you are going too fast.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    Remaining seated (on climbs), if you can, will keep your body weight over the back wheel and help with traction
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Learn to master the front brake, You'll be amazed how much stopping power is there even on loose terrain. Plus have a read of the braking thread. Despite the daft arguments there are some useful tips.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    diy wrote:
    Learn to master the front brake, You'll be amazed how much stopping power is there even on loose terrain. Plus have a read of the braking thread. Despite the daft arguments there are some useful tips.

+1

I would guess that you are not using the front brake enough.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • mmafan
    mmafan Posts: 26
    Try to pick one line over roots and rocks and keep your head focused on your exit and no matter what the back does keep looking foward and you should be ok.

If you try to change lines over rocks and roots, especially wet ones, you will loose traction.

I rode my dh bike on a mild Dh track without a rear brake, not by choice, and it helped me loads with learning how to use the fornt brake more so then the back.....
    Practice not using the back brake on easy corners and gradually build up and you'll soon learn on what type of corners you need the rear brake and how much etc......

Likewise try some easy corners using only the rear brake,, so you can learn to drift into certain corners or keep the bike in a straight line with the back anchors on , but this aids sliding of course........

Practise will make perfect and it all comes with time on the bike.......

i always recommend riding two functional brakes!!!!!

hope this helps
    Spesh Rockhopper 2005, Giant Glory Zero 2007, KTM Flavour 2009, Canyon Strive 7.0 2011
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    I like the back wheel stepping out :-) Makes it interesting and more often than not corerctable almost solely on instinct too. When the front one goes it's 'wipe out' Love my ignitor on the back on wet grass ;-)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Could be rubbish tyres. Try setting up your line before you hit roots or rocks and straight lining them. If they are big keep your weight well back so that your front wheel is light and will go over them easily.
    Try not to brake when it does slide or you will crash.