for 'forks' sake

xand_xand
xand_xand Posts: 271
edited May 2011 in MTB beginners
I'm gonna brush up and write a book on Mtb forks!
We need to do an upgrade in some new forks for general trails, woods etc nothing too tricky but we are a little confused and unsure of a few things;
Ok....
1. Current forks are 190 steerer so would say a 170 steerer be ok? Or will this change geometry too much?
2. The QR forks ive found are either 9 or 15mm how do I measure what my Mtb needs?
3. Can't find out if I have tapered steerer or not... Is the only way of really knowing for me to take mine out of the frame and 'look'?

Anything else I need to be sure of when looking to buy a new fork for my Mtb?

Any help would be grt as I keep seeing lots of reasonably priced forks only to find myself answering one or more of the above questions.

Cheers
MY CUBE
http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12785430

Cube ltd race 2011.....enjoying the grt outdoors no matter the weather (except snow I just can't move in the snow)!

Comments

• andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    1. Current forks are 190 steerer so would say a 170 steerer be ok? Or will this change geometry too much?

Steerer length won't affect geometry, it will affect how much steerer sticks out above your head tube. Too long and you will need loads of spacers and you stem may be too high. too short and you may not be able to use it at all.

2. The QR forks ive found are either 9 or 15mm how do I measure what my Mtb needs?

find out what is already in there.

3. Can't find out if I have tapered steerer or not... Is the only way of really knowing for me to take mine out of the frame and 'look'?

find out the specs on your frame.

Anything else I need to be sure of when looking to buy a new fork for my Mtb?

what brakes are you using now, V or disk? forks need to be compatible with brakes.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    170mm steerer will probably be too short unless you have 20mm of spacers between the top of the headset and the bottom of the stem. This will also drop your bars a lot, which would change your riding position.

If this is [retty much what the axle looks like you need 9mm QR. I'm pretty sure this is what it will be.

tacx-quick-release-skewer.jpg

You have a standard 1 1/8th steerer, not a tapered one.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • xand_xand
    Thanks guys.....more info
    Carrera frame 18"
    Dart 2 fork 120mm travel, 190 steerer.
    Disc brakes I.S.mount

1. Ok so I need to stick to as nr as I can to the current set up then so 190 steerer req'd.
    Is cutting streerers pretty straight forward ?

2. Thel33ter yes they look like that. I'm going with your 9mm QR then.

3. I've been trying to search thd specs on my frame but unable to find the info. Errrghh!
    Again thel33ter do you know for sure it is Std steerer and not tapered?
    MY CUBE

Cube ltd race 2011.....enjoying the grt outdoors no matter the weather (except snow I just can't move in the snow)!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is a standard steerer.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    100% sure.

Cutting a steerer is simple, but remember, measure twice, cut once.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    how's this.

http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/carrera/kraken-2009/specs

Stick to the current size, only if you are happy with the set up. depending on stem and spacers, you may be able to go higher or lower.

keep the steerer uncut until you are sure you want/need to cut it.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • xand_xand
    Thanks andrewjoseph thats very nearly right - i have the ltd edition (black and white one) 2008......so some things slightly changed....
    but grt help - good find.
    MY CUBE

• Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    tbh, it's best to get your Local bike shop to fit it.. You will also need a start nut fitted in the steerer.

My LBS fit mine for a tenner...
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • xand_xand
    Ok my current dart 2 forks 120mm travel, would it be a mistake to drop to a 100mm fox travel fork I've been looking at?
    Would this have much effect on the Mtb ride?

Another thing moving away from the actual travel of the fork the stanchions on the dart seem to be really long 130mm but the stanchions on the fox do look alot shorter ! If that makes sense so I'm guessing I also need to bare this in mind with regards to shortening the physical difference at the front of the bike?

Maybe I should just opt for an identical travel fork.
    MY CUBE