neilrosser Posts: 236
edited July 2011 in Your mountain bikes
Collected today, hope it rides as well as it looks :D

017.jpg
Trek Fuel EX8

Comments

• kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    That is a looker! I was put off by the looks of its predecessor, but this new paint job looks really good. Good spec for the coin too. Enjoy!
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • rc10andy
    rc10andy Posts: 24
    Looks a nice bike that!

Can we have a bit of a spec?

Am i right in thinking its a Decathlon bike?
  • neilrosser
    rc10andy wrote:
    Looks a nice bike that!

Here it is mate
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/8-1-2011-172069577/
    Neil
    Trek Fuel EX8
  • rc10andy
    rc10andy Posts: 24
    neilrosser wrote:
    rc10andy wrote:
    Looks a nice bike that!

Here it is mate
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/8-1-2011-172069577/
    Neil

Seems a fair spec for a bike of that price, i guess there will be a few components need replacing to make it your own but apart from that im impressed!

Hope it brings you plenty of good riding and lots of fun mate!
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    im a big fan of Decathlon bikes seem very good for the price im on my 3rd.

this years do look nice also very good spec of the price.

enjoy.
  • mastermosher
    mastermosher Posts: 233
    I have a Rockrider 8.2 but with the reba forks. Well impressed and when I bought it I got another £130 of it as it was there special weekend.Great bikes for the money.
    I don't mind what they say... as long as they say its enormous
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    really nice bike, good to see they've started giving them proper paint jobs now!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • neilrosser
    Just a few pics of the 8.1 in her natural enviroment 8)

IMAG0067-1.jpg
    IMAG0068.jpg
    IMAG0069.jpg
    Trek Fuel EX8
  • thebluefox
    thebluefox Posts: 200
    Nice bike! Although you have me very confused now, which store did you buy this from?

Reason I ask is I've been chatting to the Nottingham store about getting the 2011 model and they say that they can't sell them (and nowhere else will either) because they can't shift the 2010 model.

Because of this apparently they're going to be putting most of the 2011 kit (fork, brakes, S-RAM 7 gear) on the 2010 frame (which is only painted differently to the 2011 one). The only differences in fact are different rims and different saddle. Apparently selling this lot for £450 too.

But, I'm seeing people buying the proper 2011 model.

Confused!
  • neilrosser
    You've got me worried now mate, are you saying I have 2011 components on a 2010 frame ?
    Also I've noticed the 2011 frame is 6061 T6 and the 2010 is 6060 T6. Not sure what the "1" represents. Any ideas?
    Cheers
    Neil

EDIT: Have posted the T6 question in general.
    Trek Fuel EX8
  • DannyOT
    DannyOT Posts: 9
    That's definitely the 2011 model as it has the 2011 paint scheme. As thebluefox says, most Decathlon stores can't shift the 2010 models so aren't selling the 2011 yet, which store did you get yours from?
    <b>DannyOT</b>
  • MelaMel
    MelaMel Posts: 10
    I'm going to hazard a guess and say its from the Reading store..
  • neilrosser
    MelaMel wrote:
    I'm going to hazard a guess and say its from the Reading store..

Yep :)

Also, sureley just because it has 2011 colour scheme, doesn't mean the frame is 2011 (T6 6061). after all they're only decals.
    Cheers
    Neil
    Trek Fuel EX8
  • DannyOT
    Both frames are exactly the same (6061) so nothing to worry about there.

Anyway, lovely bike, how are you finding it? I'm hoping to pick one up in the very near future.
    <b>DannyOT</b>
  • neilrosser
    DannyOT wrote:
    Both frames are exactly the same (6061)

2010 is 6060, 2011 is 6061, like I said don't know what the difference is, but I'm guessing I wont affect my riding :) .

Anyway heres another pic 8)
    IMAG0076.jpg
    [/img]
    Trek Fuel EX8
  • DannyOT
    One part of the website states the 2010 is 6061 and the other states that it is 6061. I'd be inclined to say that it is 6061 as that is probably the most common aluminium alloy used is cycle frames. It won't make the slightest bit of difference anyway, its just the composition of the alloy and the different elements contained within.
    <b>DannyOT</b>
  • neilrosser
    Yeh I know your right, it's just that I paid an extra £50 for a 2011 model and I expected it to be 100% 2011, not 99% 2011 and 1% 2010.
    I'm thinking about complaining to Decathlon and see what happens.
    Neil
    Trek Fuel EX8
  • DannyOT
    It is 100% 2011. The only differences between the 2010 and 2011 as far as I'm aware are the brakes being upgraded to Elixir 3 rather than Juicy 3 and the fork is a Recon rather than a Tora; the frame is exactly the same as last years, just with a different paint scheme.

I'd pay £50 more for the brakes and fork alone.
    <b>DannyOT</b>
  • stimpy_76
    stimpy_76 Posts: 43
    DannyOT wrote:
    It is 100% 2011. The only differences between the 2010 and 2011 as far as I'm aware are the brakes being upgraded to Elixir 3 rather than Juicy 3 and the fork is a Recon rather than a Tora; the frame is exactly the same as last years, just with a different paint scheme.

I'd pay £50 more for the brakes and fork alone.

+1 on this.

I'm hoping to pick mine up mid next week.

Phone the store and ask them to get one in for you - it takes about 10 days but they'll do it.
    Commuter MTB FCN 12
    XC MTB FCN 9
  • chrisjnr19
    chrisjnr19 Posts: 231
    Wow! I looked up the spec for one of these and I am left feeling slightly sick. (not 'cause of the bike :P)
    I really wonder how Decathlon manage to sell these bikes at such a price, I mean the spec on these is amazing for the £499.99 price tag.
    The spec even on the more expensive Rockrider 8 XC seems great, and the only bike at the moment i've managed to compare it to is the Canyon Grand Canyon 8.0.
    Anyway, great purchase mate :D

and enjoy it :P
  • Richtea70
    Richtea70 Posts: 107
    Neil,

How long did it take to order your 2011 bike?

I went into Decathlon today but they only had the 2010 version, but interestingly they had the Recon fork fitted not the Tora. So Am I right in saying that the only difference between the two now is the colour scheme and the brakes?

Cheers,
    Rich
    GT Idrive
    Trek 6300
    GT Chucker
  • neilrosser
    Hi Rich
    I ordered the 2011 on the Wednesday and it was in store by the Sunday :D .

When I saw the 2010 in the store they had Tora on them, so not quite sure what is going on mate, it seems they're upgrading bits to encourage people to buy the 2010's and get rid of them :?
    Cheers
    Neil
    Trek Fuel EX8
  • Richtea70
    Richtea70 Posts: 107
    Yeah, all very confusing but I think I'm gonna go for the 2011 version, looks a lot nicer!

Hope I dont bump into you at the woods, it'll be like wearing the same dress at a party (not that I wear dresses!) :wink:

Rich.
    GT Idrive
    Trek 6300
    GT Chucker
  • just bought one today. £449 as a 2010 but has a recon fork,but juicy 3 brakes
    sales personsaid 2011 out yet...