Converting to Thru Axle.

leaflite
leaflite Posts: 1,651
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Basically, I have a set of shimano MT15 wheels which are quick release axle front and rear. I am looking at getting a set of forks with a 15mm thru axle. From what Ive heard, the hubs cannot be converted to thru axle. Is this the case?

If it is, would it be possible to get a new front hub laced on to the rims which will take a thru axle? As the rims are 28hole, and the spokes are bladed, will this be difficult?

I want to keep the rear wheel, and I want the front wheel to match as far as possible, so I dont want to just buy a new front wheel, or a new set of wheels really unless it would be significantly cheaper.

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The hubs are standard QR only I am afraid, and cannot be converted. The cost of a rebuild will be more than a new set of wheels - I'd sell them and buy new.
  • slimboyjim
    slimboyjim Posts: 367
    Some hubs are convertible - hope pro2 being an example. You could always pick up a front wheel sooner to spread the cost a bit, then when you are in a position to upgrade your fork you've a full choice of qr, 15mm of 20mm...