Grease

forcutty
forcutty Posts: 1,055
edited May 2011 in Workshop
What grease would peoples suggest for a hub overhaul?
I did mine with a bog standard grease but my friend tells me that I should have used a Teflon based grease.
Is he right :?:

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    What type of grease did you use? A standard bearing grease such as you might get from Halfords is ideal.

You shouldn't use a PTFE particulate-based grease in a bearing so your mate has got it wrong. It's less critical in a bicycle application as the temperatures don't change much, but PTFE has a high thermal expansions coefficient so the particle size is not always predictable.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • forcutty
    I used just bog standard multi purpose stuff same as below.
    Should i have used something different/ longer lasting.
    COM-GREASE-328x218.jpg
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    Any old LiMo will do.
  • forcutty
    ChrisSA wrote:
    Any old LiMo will do.
    What do you mean LiMo?
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    Lithium Molybdenum. The periodic table is your friend.
  • forcutty
    Still not sure if I've done right thing and feeling guilty has resulted in buying some Finishline. Same as below, once inserted i shall feel better :oops:
    115.jpg
    Please don't tell me it's no good :x
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    But you've finished the job already, no? Surely you're not going to rebuild the hubs just to use grease from a "bicycle parts" brand?!
  • I use Pro Gold EPX. It's made with a secret blend of snake-oil and horse-feathers and it really is rather good.
    Pro Gold wrote:
    Because MFR technology is so effective, care should be taken to not apply EPX Cycle Grease to bolts or fasteners that must be torqued, as they may "back off" due to vibration.

I love that kind of marketing, like. :D
  • forcutty
    balthazar wrote:
    But you've finished the job already, no? Surely you're not going to rebuild the hubs just to use grease from a "bicycle parts" brand?!
    Yep I'd rather replace the grease knowing it'll be right than possibly wreck the hubs.
    I'm no lube expert!!! but I thought that the universal was good enough at the time. hence why i used it but since being told it won't last very long i think i had better do it properly :roll: