Is rust inevitable

jamienorton
jamienorton Posts: 182
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
so just cleaned my bike after being caked in mud in the monsoon like conditions yesterday (great fun btw) and noticed a small amount of rusting on the chain and teeth, is it unavoidable and will it start to affect shifting eventually, i use finish line wet lube btw.

Comments

• trail jacker
    trail jacker Posts: 844
    It generally wipes off - its probably just surface rust. Its avoidable if you keep the drivetrain properly lubed and dry it / spray with gt85 / tf2 after its been wet to repel the water and avoid the rusting.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Clean with water + degreaser > wipe dryish > spray GT85 or WD40 > wipe clean > chain lube.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No, keep WD40 away from your chain. In fact keep it away from your bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    cooldad wrote:
    No, keep WD40 away from your chain. In fact keep it away from your bike.

+1

Chain lubes are designed to bond to clean, grease free metal surfaces not WD40 or GT85.

Glad we all agree on that..............could have turned into a long thread.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    We.... what's all this WE..

I use WD40 for years.. have for many many many.. on bicycles and motorbikes...
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    i've never ever found a use for wd 40.on motor bikes, or anything mechanical at all.its crap
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I use wd40/gt85 on all our bikes, sprayed lightly on derailers after a wash (using the straw so it doesn't spray everywhere).

I also use it on chains after a wash, as it helps disperse water, a quick wipe to get most of it off, then run a bit of lube on the chain.

I have found that the wd40/gt85 seems to carry the lube into the chain internals quicker, the wd40 will evaporate leaving the lube where it is needed. I use less lube, the chains stay cleaner and don't rust.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    wd 40 is the work of the devil . it destroys the seals around forks and bearings .

gt85 is good for dry weather and cables
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    NatoED wrote:
    wd 40 is the work of the devil . it destroys the seals around forks and bearings ....

Granted. not good for rubber.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Yes, but I was clearly not suggesting leaving it on the chain or using it instead of a lubricant, simply using it for its intended purpose: getting the water out of a chain.