best, fast bike under £500

rob777
rob777 Posts: 48
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi there,

I'm new to roadbiking and wanted to tap into your expertise.

Am looking for a road bike for under £500, but, it must have 11 teeth on the smallest rear cog. All the bikes I've seen do far have twelve teeth and I wanted to go that bit faster so am looking for 11 teeth.

Any help on selecting a bike is much appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

Rob[/quote]

Comments

• Slimbods
    Slimbods Posts: 321
    Buy used, change the cassette.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    If not having an 11 sprocket actually holds you up in any but the most extreme situations, do call Team Sky - I reckon they'd love to hear from you.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Change the large ring to 53. Better than reducing the number of teeth on the cassette.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    I think we've been over the gearing issue so many times before.

While riding today I actually found myself in top chain ring and the 12 tooth on the cassette. I was peddling between 39 and 42 mph at the time.

Do you really need to go faster?

As for a 'fast bike', they are as fast as you ride them. Used will get you some of the best value, otherwise look at retailers / online shops, selling off 2010 models. Most often the biggest difference is the colour.

You really can't beat having a few test rides to see what suits / fits you.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Learn to pedal faster and why not call Bob Stapleton at HTC to see if he's looking for a replacement for Cavendish?

One part of this post is serious advice..
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    11t sprocket.... quite possibly the last thing i'd base my decision on when buying a bike.

Buy any bike and then buy a cassette with an 11t sprocket. If you're that much of a machine then you'll need the spare sprockets.

The best fast bike is the bike that fits you best.
  • Tom_0787
    Tom_0787 Posts: 39
    What size frame are you after?